Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Staying and diving in Florida

Hello,
    I am organizing a trip to Florida for our UK based cave diving group. I am looking for recommendations for accommodation, air fills and kit hire, ideally near the main sites. It will be a small group of 6 and we will be coming out around May 2019.
    Any pointers and recommendations would be great!

Administrator Forum Admin

I would suggest Dive Outpost www.diveoutpost.com

There are other CDG groups that stay there when they come to the US. FWIW, I am CDG, Welsh section.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

It really depends on what you are looking for. There are different levels of accommodations available. Any of the dive shops in Cave Country can help you out.

Seconding Forrest's recommendation for Dive Outpost.

One of the many great things about the Outpost is the opportunity to meet and chat with other cave divers, including some luminaries of the sport.

Not to knock Diveoutpost , but if you have a group of 6 people you can find some nice Airbnbs/VRBO that would offer better quality and higher value than diveoutpost. Since this is so far in advance, another option would be to contact Wayne at Amigo's and inquire about the Pathfinder rental (Tom Atkins's place). His house is 4 bedrooms 2 BA. Tom lives in the master 1BR/1BA section and rents out the other 3 Bedrooms/1Bathroom section. I know there are at least 5 beds in those three bedrooms (with one of them being a queen).

I highly recommend Mark Fowler. Been going down there since 1995 and this was really a great place. PM me and I’ll give you his number.

There is actually 2 available bathrooms with 3 bedrooms. 2 beds in each room

Something that people coming from outside the area may not realize is the distance between the two main cave diving areas. There is the Marianna area and then the High Springs / Luraville area. They are a 3 hour drive apart. There are some excellent swim dives in the Marianna area but a boat is required for most of them. This can be rented for both the Mill Pond and river caves but most people don't want to do this. Jackson Blue is easily accessible from the park but in my opinion the swim dives there pale in comparison to Bozel, Judge's, Mattachuk, Maunds etc. If you are planning on swimming and not scootering I recommend the High Springs / Luraville area. Now if you are wanting the deep caves such as Eagles Nest , Diepolder etc I would probably consider staying south of High Springs. I would also talk to James Draker about some guided dives.

Quote Originally Posted by hbm View Post
    I highly recommend Mark Fowler. Been going down there since 1995 and this was really a great place. PM me and I’ll give you his number.
    Yeah. Mark Fowler does the schedule for Hangtime Lake City (www.hangtimelakecity.com). Place is super nice and designed for divers and/or instructors.

Here's Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/HangTimeLakeCity/

Cheers!