Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It seems that there is a lot of line changes nowadays in Peacock and other caves.
    Things seemed to be smoother and better organized when we had: http://northfloridaspringsalliance.o...committee.html

Georges Gawinowski
    www.wdtdive.com "you divelike you train"

Quote Originally Posted by wdt View Post
    It seems that there is a lot of line changes nowadays in Peacock and other caves.
    Things seemed to be smoother and better organized when we had: http://northfloridaspringsalliance.o...committee.html
    Per park rules volunteers are not allowed to do things like this under the direction of the park. It isn't saying that having some people perform organized line maintenance etc can't exist, just can't be directed by the park. Ironically when there was more involvement, the parks got opened to diving faster after a flood.

It has been mentioned that doing something to life safety equipment, such as the throw ring at the platforms, is considered a misdemeanor under state law, and it has been suggested altering line can apply.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Draker View Post
    Yup! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It?s just past Waterhole 2.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Same person who made the Godzilla jump a continuous line circuit, moved gold lines placements on the OG/Challenge line, changed a lot of line near Pothole, and wrapped the excess around a rock etc etc.
    Tongue in cheek aspects aside, I suspect it would not be the same person since the intent is probably different in different cases. For example, making the Godzilla line a continuous circuit makes it "easier" to dive, while removing the arrows and cutting back the line at the Waterhole III jump would tend to make it harder for divers to find. If it's the same diver, he or she has some schizophrenic traits.

Odds are there are two or more divers who self appointed themselves to make changes to the permanent lines.

---

I not sure what happened at Pot Hole, but on older lines, I think some less experienced divers may find loose line and just pull in the slack rather than finding where it came off a placement or where the projection being used may have failed, and then fix the line properly. Unfortunately if they snug it up too much they can break the next placement as well, as they often don't understand that some lines are left slightly loose for a reason, when the rock is very soft and fragile.

NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ

It's pretty hard to get lost on the Waterhole line, unless of course you take the little known "WTF, I heard that this was a SM line" back to the Peanut line...

Safe diving,

Rich

P.S. That jump's one of my fave places to fail App students!

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves