Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Big Ups

Default Big Ups

Getting ready for a cave diving trip to Florida, when I tested my primary light one Friday not too long ago, it didn't work. Because the trip was scheduled for the following weekend, I had time on Monday to reach the manufacturer who had retrofitted this ancient 10 watt HID to LED to see what could be done. At the same time, having dealt with them for over 20 years, I decided that if I called at 6pm on a Friday, 1 of 2 things would happen:

1) in the most likely case, I would leave a message and someone would get back to me on Monday; OR
    2) if he was there, Carl would answer the phone.

Sure enough, Carl Saieva of Sartek was still there and answered my call at 6pm on a Friday! And, it gets better than that.

After diagnosing the issue in less time a minute, he offered to send me the replacement part I needed just for the cost of shipping. It was an inexpensive part for an old light but, to me, it was the thought that counted. And, it got better than that.

Unknown to me at the time, in addition to sending me the cheap part I needed, Carl also sent along a surprise free upgrade to the LED module that bumped up the light power by about 50%! And, his customer service got even better.

Due to a miscommunication on my part, the package was due to arrive at my home *after* I would have already left for my dive trip - which was fine with me, but to Carl that meant his good intentions would have had to wait for another trip, and he was having none of that. At his own expense, including shipping to the dive shop I was using, Carl sent me another package with the replacement part I needed, *and* another LED module upgrade.

Frankly, no matter how much I look and try (and I have, a lot), and no matter how great other manufacturers are with their lighting products and customer service (and some are truly great), I have been more than satisfied, for more than 20 years, with Carl and Sartek.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Getting ready for a cave diving trip to Florida, when I tested my primary light one Friday not too long ago, it didn't work. Because the trip was scheduled for the following weekend, I had time on Monday to reach the manufacturer who had retrofitted this ancient 10 watt HID to LED to see what could be done. At the same time, having dealt with them for over 20 years, I decided that if I called at 6pm on a Friday, 1 of 2 things would happen:

1) in the most likely case, I would leave a message and someone would get back to me on Monday; OR
    2) if he was there, Carl would answer the phone.

Sure enough, Carl Saieva of Sartek was still there and answered my call at 6pm on a Friday! And, it gets better than that.

After diagnosing the issue in less time a minute, he offered to send me the replacement part I needed just for the cost of shipping. It was an inexpensive part for an old light but, to me, it was the thought that counted. And, it got better than that.

Unknown to me at the time, in addition to sending me the cheap part I needed, Carl also sent along a surprise free upgrade to the LED module that bumped up the light power by about 50%! And, his customer service got even better.

Due to a miscommunication on my part, the package was due to arrive at my home *after* I would have already left for my dive trip - which was fine with me, but to Carl that meant his good intentions would have had to wait for another trip, and he was having none of that. At his own expense, including shipping to the dive shop I was using, Carl sent me another package with the replacement part I needed, *and* another LED module upgrade.

Frankly, no matter how much I look and try (and I have, a lot), and no matter how great other manufacturers are with their lighting products and customer service (and some are truly great), I have been more than satisfied, for more than 20 years, with Carl and Sartek.
    So, dibs on the extra?

Awesome story. It's great to hear that customer service still exists.

Jim

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moose_grunt View Post
    So, dibs on the extra?

Awesome story. It's great to hear that customer service still exists.

Jim

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Fankly, I didn't even think about keeping the extra LED module. It's not as though I would need it like I might need a spare HID bulb, right? In the end, I kept the old LED module, because Carl isn't selling them anymore, but sent back the newer one.

When I lived in New Orleans, I was introduced to the concept of "lagniappe," which loosely refers to unexpectedly getting a little something extra as a bonus or for free. I would have been super-satisfied just to get the cheap part I needed in time to use it for that trip, even if that meant paying as much for shipping as for the part. Since I already knew Carl wasn't charging me for the part, that would not have been lagniappe. Getting a surprise free upgrade to the upgrade I had done 2 years before - that was lagniappe!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    that was lagniappe!
    Like getting a lucky bean in your bag of Camelia's you got at Dorignac's.

If that makes sense to you, you're a true New Orleanian either by birth or being a transplant and being well taught the ways by the locals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just upgraded my sartek 10 watt hid to the led. Carl made it easy, tested every thing including the charger and battery. Very happy with the results.

Jack