Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    Oftentimes procedures like that come up as the most convenient way at the time and are never adjusted. What I think we are obviously seeing are some serious growing pains. No different than halcyon, light monkey, dive rite, etc. it?s unfortunate that it is coming out this way but discussions like this will make the movers and shakers in a company step back and make sure they are following best practices to continue being the best of the best. We go through it with every claim from our customers and every incident that goes on. No feedback usually means no catalyst for change.
    I?m glad they?re being open but it would be interesting to see why a destructive test procedure is required
    Understandable. Obviously they dropped their bench fee proving your point. Personally I think they should leave it. Its either pay for the repair or pay for their time to diagnose. Seems pretty standard in most industries. It I had a mechanic rip apart my transmission then I tell him to put it back together unfixed, I would expect to pay a fee. Even if consumers see it as an annoyance fee. And you can argue the mechanic didnt build the transmission, but I dont buy that a manufacturer should be held to a different standard past warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by silentscuba View Post
    When Richard was setting up his company to do the Shearwater repairs, products liability came up and part of that discussion was making sure that an unaware person could not use a dive computer that came in for service but the repair was refused.
    Curt
    So is this Shearwater company policy, to disable (in any way, not just cut off a depth sensor for testing) a computer that a customer has elected not to repair? Curt or Richard, Bruce or Lynn, anyone want to make a clear as day statement on this?

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    Any full cave diver should be able to finish that dive sans petrel.
    Your first line of defense is your buddy's (or back up) computer. He has the same profile you do.
    really?? did somebody teach you this regards Buddy's computer?

I'm not gonna say that it doesn't have some merit but it is so far from being first choice IMHO.

Chris Richardson

Quote Originally Posted by cerich View Post

I'm not gonna say that it doesn't have some merit but it is so far from being first choice IMHO.

I see your point, I should mention that the buddy's computer does work a little better for me than it would for some divers in some situations.

My buddy and I dive together almost exclusively. We not only have the same profile but 99.9 percent of the time we'll have the same surface interval and we also make sure we have the same gradient factor.

So, yes, if my computer dies the first thing I'm going to do is ask how much deco my buddy has.

Quote Originally Posted by cerich View Post

I’d do it. We did the same dive, after all.

Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    I’d do it. We did the same dive, after all.

That's the whole team diving concept (the TD in UTD)

I carry a backup mask, my buddy does not. He carries a backup primary light. I do not. I have used his backup primary on one occasion and was able to finish a dive I would have otherwise had to call.

What works, works.

Any company has to strike a balance between keeping their customers happy, so they'll get word-of-mouth recommendations and return customers, and making a profit on the stuff they sell, and their service and replacement policy is part of that equation. At one extreme, I have a Tilley hat that has a lifetime replacement policy, including wearing out with normal wear and tear, or even if I just lose it. LL Bean, until recently, had a lifetime "dissatisfaction" replacement policy -- at any time you could say "I"m not satisfied with this product" and they'd replace it. They had to change that a year or two ago when too many people were returning 10 year old worn out socks, etc., claiming dissatisfaction, but they had that policy for decades. On the other extreme is you buy it, it's your problem -- no service after the sale. Most places are somewhere in between.

I've always been really happy with the Shearwater product, and the one time I needed service, they were very responsive and more than fair. They do continuously improve their product, but I don't expect to get a new one because they made a better battery cap seal. I like 'em. And, like any successful company with a good product, they've spawned competition, so for folks that don't like the company or their product, there now seem to be viable alternatives. I look at them sometimes, but have always chosen to stick with what works well for me. I dive with a Petrel 1 on each wrist -- a primary and a backup -- necessary redundancy, but since I've got two of them, why now take them both; I've got a backup in the off chance that one fails. Not like a regulator or a light failing, but inconvenient.

"It was more than breathtaking, it was like having stumbled upon some alien cathedral on some other planet, which some otherworld race with their incomprehensible architecture and alien sculpture had ages past built, decorated, and dedicated to their unknowable God."
    James Jones. His Capitol M Manhood. In Down Time: Great Writers on Diving, 2nd ed.

The absolute coolest thing about Shearwaters, other than their performance, is that y'all that wear them look like legitimate astronauts / aquanauts while underwater.

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.