Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Question Custom Divers - HeWee Go - need a review please

Hey there

I lost a kidney due to cancer a couple of years ago and naturally urinary tract infection is really big issue for me. Which can be caused by a "reverse flow" for a lack of a better term in a normal pee valve scenario (and I don't want to go nappy if I don't have to - wait for that until I am 80 or so )

I came across this HeWee from custom divers which works with a diaphragm - my logic tells me that if you have a "reverse flow" (although the diaphragm should still be tight not to leek under normal circumstances. that when you have a kink that it should pop off (which is preferable)

anybody uses these?

any reviews under normal curcuimstances?

http://www.customdivers.com/hewee-go...-men-712-p.asp

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Dive Africa View Post
    Hey there

I lost a kidney due to cancer a couple of years ago and naturally urinary tract infection is really big issue for me. Which can be caused by a "reverse flow" for a lack of a better term in a normal pee valve scenario (and I don't want to go nappy if I don't have to - wait for that until I am 80 or so )

I came across this HeWee from custom divers which works with a diaphragm - my logic tells me that if you have a "reverse flow" (although the diaphragm should still be tight not to leek under normal circumstances. that when you have a kink that it should pop off (which is preferable)

anybody uses these?

any reviews under normal curcuimstances?

http://www.customdivers.com/hewee-go...-men-712-p.asp
    I tried them, but it was a pain to deal with them. I went back to regular caths, and keep the hose steralized.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Default Custom Divers - HeWee Go - need a review please

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I tried them, but it was a pain to deal with them. I went back to regular caths, and keep the hose steralized.
    Me too. Though I do know of someone on another forum who likes them.

Also. As I recall the diaphragm is what your manhood goes through. I think it just plumbed in to a normal pee valve.

Yep I tried them, basically its like a small drysuit neck seal squeezing your manhood and was quite sore to put on and afterwards would leave a reddish marking around that area. i got rid of it and went with normal catheters. Regarding your issue of infection I don't see any advantage these would have over a normal catheter.

Rgds

Cathal

I got the mother of all kidney infections after a cave diving trip 8-9 years ago, so I got serious about prevention. I've found these steps really help.

1) Avoid soaps and shampoos on the areas you need the adhesive to stick. Degreasing with 91% alcohol will ensure solid adhesion, but isn't needed, if you've avoided any soaps or shampoos with oils, conditioners, etc. This is important as if the catheter starts to come off during the dive it will often get pinched shut. If that happens, and you attempt to pee, it just sits there under pressure leaving a fast track for any bacteria present to find it's way into your urinary tract.

2) Be sure the bard or tube you use to attach the condom catheter to the system reaches all the way through the tube in the catheter. If not, it can get kinked closed and you have a similar situation to number 1 - but one that is a little easier to resolve in the water.

3) Hose routing matters as well to prevent any kinks in the system.

4) I rinse the entire pee valve system with a mixture of 50% 91% alcohol and 50% white vinegar before the first dive of the day and after the last dive of the day.

5) I also install my pee valves using rubber gaskets rather than silicone adhesive so that they assembly is easily removable. This lets me take the valve out, take it apart and boil the whole thing for about 20 minutes after a dive trip, or every three months if we have not taken a major trip in that time.

That's kept me infection free despite getting the valve in some significant silt on numerous tight, silty passage sidemount dives.

NACD Cave DPV Cert # 666: Cave DPV Anti-christ

Thanks mate ��

DA, I hope in my lifetime to never accept a cup of hot tea from you after a dive.

Maybe this is an option? Not designed for divers and suit squeeze might make it unworkable. http://www.bullens.com/bullens-produ...ti-brief-plus/

Quote Originally Posted by DA Aquamaster View Post
    2) Be sure the bard or tube you use to attach the condom catheter to the system reaches all the way through the tube in the catheter. If not, it can get kinked closed and you have a similar situation to number 1 - but one that is a little easier to resolve in the water.
    I find this proves to be a lot easier if you trim the thin tube by about 1/2” with a pair of sharp sissors first (I am referring of course to the catheter!! )

Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    Yep I tried them, basically its like a small drysuit neck seal squeezing your manhood and was quite sore to put on and afterwards would leave a reddish marking around that area. i got rid of it and went with normal catheters. Regarding your issue of infection I don't see any advantage these would have over a normal catheter.

Rgds

Cathal
    + 1

I don?t use it anymore either

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk