Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Double Stage Swim: do you go further?

The wife and I have had some very enjoyable dives at Madison into the courtyard in the past 4-5 months and we have really wanted to extend our distance by adding a 2nd stage. We both have a very closely matched air consumption (.5-.6 SAC) and previously have run a single stage and a pair of LP85's sidemount to do the dive. The stage typically gets us anywhere between the jump to the Rocky Horror side passage (at the gold line) and the actual beginning of Rocky Horror (depending on flow/fills/etc). We have been dropping the stage at Rocky Horror and proceeding on from there.

On this dive we decided to do our first swimming double stage so we could use one stage to get to R.H. and use the 2nd to get through R.H. and hopefully a good ways beyond before switching to "backgas". I do believe the flow was up a bit from our previous dives this year but I was blown away to see that we both hit 1/3rds (within 2 minutes of each other) on the first stage bottle well before the jump from the gold line to R.H. and we both hit 1/3rds on the second stage bottle when we reached Rocky Horror.

So the question is... for those of you with ample double stage (swimming) experience, do you typically gain that much additional penetration, or do you wipe out the added benefit of extra gas by carrying additional air in your wing and having to swim harder against flow to compensate for the drag?

Ironically there was another team in the system prior to our arrival, and thankfully we timed it near perfectly (dumb luck) that we crossed their exiting path as we jumped from Martz to the gold line. (I think the one diver probably thought I was nuts as I tapped on my watch and gave him a round of applause) This team was doing a double stage as well (backmount) but I didn't get to chat with them pre or post dive as they were gone when we wrapped up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Madison blue.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	18169  

I only have a few double stage dives, but my experience is similar to yours - the 2nd stage didn't greatly improve my distance and I even got less penetration distance on a couple of dives when compared to diving with just one stage.

People have told me that double stage sucks for swimming and is best reserved for scootering. I am very close to concurring with that observation.

I haven't been able to get back down to Florida to test it out, but I'm going to try doing a double stage set up dive and see how I do swimming with only one stage on at a time.

I find when swimming with 2 stages I get about 30% less distance from the 1st stage bottle than I would with only one stage. Flow magnifies this. I still get further overall. I learned to swim a little different with a 2nd stage and to be more aware of how my bottles are riding.

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by CptTightPants21 View Post
    I'm going to try doing a double stage set up dive and see how I do swimming with only one stage on at a time.
    I thought about this also... perhaps a set up dive to drop a fresh stage at the enterance to Rocky Horror... then dive the next day with a single stage and swap them before entering R.H. It shouldn't be too difficult to collect both and carry them out for cleanup on exit.

The other obvious thing not specifically mentioned above: don't wear yourself out on the first leg. Try to swim relaxed and slower. The first stage isn't going to last as long as it normally does, but it can wear you out really fast. You don't want to be huffing and puffing when you drop the first stage. You will not get your breathing back to your normal rate for the 2nd stage, which is why it didn't last as long as it should have.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben M View Post
    The other obvious thing not specifically mentioned above: don't wear yourself out on the first leg. Try to swim relaxed and slower. The first stage isn't going to last as long as it normally does, but it can wear you out really fast. You don't want to be huffing and puffing when you drop the first stage. You will not get your breathing back to your normal rate for the 2nd stage, which is why it didn't last as long as it should have.
    We likely magnified this point to a degree because we never dropped the first stage. Our original plan was to drop it at the enterance to R.H. regardless of when we hit 1/3's on it. This way we had a little safety margin built in that there would be gas waiting just outside of R.H. should there be a need. Of course this was all considering that we'd get to the normal penetration on the first stage that we usually do.

I think the jump from the mainline headded to rocky horror is deceptively long. I always think it is going to be a quick swim and it always seems to take much longer than anticipated. in hindsite, we should have dropped stage 1 on the gold line. This is where I was thinking "we don't have far to go before we will dump these first stages... then use up the rest of the 2nd to get through R.H.".

Try half plus 200...

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    I thought about this also... perhaps a set up dive to drop a fresh stage at the enterance to Rocky Horror... then dive the next day with a single stage and swap them before entering R.H. It shouldn't be too difficult to collect both and carry them out for cleanup on exit.
    My initial thoughts on how to tackle Madison with two stages would be to have the dropped off stage full of 30/30 to be used in courtyard area. Dive 1, enter at Martz swim up 1/2 + 200 drop off 30/30 stage. Turn around and head back, do Godzilla circuit on the way out the main spring. Dive 2: Enter at Martz with fresh stage, pickup 30/30 stage, but save it for courtyard. PS. I dive 108s.

Administrator Forum Admin

I am surprised nobody has suggested a rebreather

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

My first option is bigger tanks. If that isn't available or possible then stages are the next option. Flow really sucks with stages. Anything you can do to decrease your frontal area helps. Front mounted stages with steel tanks suck. With al80's everything floats up and tucks in better with dir rigging. I personally prefer BM stages with steel tanks and front mounted in Mexico with al 80's.