Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Instructor Trainer

Hi- Can anyone please recommend a TDI Instructor Trainer [full cave] in either Florida or the Cancun area?

many thanks in advance

Pete

Hi Pete. If you are interested in becoming a TDI cave instructor you might want to visit the website and read through the standards. And give HQ a call.
    TDI does not have a ?cave IT?. There is a lengthy process of co-teaches, assists and mentoring that usually occurs by the prospective instructor candidate working with several TDI cave instructors as they teach courses. At the end of this process, you?ll need to discuss an evaluation with a ?cave evaluator?. There are only 3-4 active TDI Cave Evaluators in FL.

Initially you can only become a cavern or Intro instructor, and as you progress, teach courses at this level, gain experience and continue to work through the process, you?ll hopefully become eligible to teach at the Full Cave level. There are required time periods, minimum co-teaches and assists that need to occur.

Becoming a cave instructor through any agency should be a lengthy process of learning, assisting, and evaluations.

Good luck. Enjoy the process. And don?t be in a hurry.

The best new instructors are those who have worked with as many current instructors as possible. You?ll be amazed at all the tips, tricks and techniques you?ll learn from each instructor you work with and from each course you assist with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Default Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Draker View Post
    Hi Pete. If you are interested in becoming a TDI cave instructor you might want to visit the website and read through the standards. And give HQ a call.
    TDI does not have a ?cave IT?. There is a lengthy process of co-teaches, assists and mentoring that usually occurs by the prospective instructor candidate working with several TDI cave instructors as they teach courses. At the end of this process, you?ll need to discuss an evaluation with a ?cave evaluator?. There are only 3-4 active TDI Cave Evaluators in FL.

Initially you can only become a cavern or Intro instructor, and as you progress, teach courses at this level, gain experience and continue to work through the process, you?ll hopefully become eligible to teach at the Full Cave level. There are required time periods, minimum co-teaches and assists that need to occur.

Becoming a cave instructor through any agency should be a lengthy process of learning, assisting, and evaluations.

Good luck. Enjoy the process. And don?t be in a hurry.

The best new instructors are those who have worked with as many current instructors as possible. You?ll be amazed at all the tips, tricks and techniques you?ll learn from each instructor you work with and from each course you assist with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    To bad obtaining full cave isn?t like this. Not a fan of the zero to hero in 7 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

HI Draker - Many thanks for your reply. I should have perhaps phrased my question more carefully.

I'm aware of the various stages/assists/evaluations/co-teaches to go through at each level and I absolutely share your philosophy of taking time, learning from different Inst's and learning through different agencies. After all, as an Inst, you're only as good as the knowledge and experience you have gained yourself, and through the people who have taught you. What i'd like now is to start to start talking to someone about beginning that process and working towards my full cave inst certification.

I've been cave diving for several years, regularly guide customers in caves, and teaching recreational and tec for 9 years. If you can recommend anyone, i would be grateful for a name/contact so i can start that conversation.

many thanks

Diverlee - I'm not sure if you're replying to me or Draker. Neither Draker or I have suggested working towards full cave inst in 7 days or a zero-to-hero program.

But if you're replying to me i'm puzzled by your reply. I'm well aware of the steps i'll need to take and the time commitment required. I didn't imply or suggest that i wanted to do it quickly or cut corners. I absolutely don't.

So, if you've got something useful to add to the conservation - like the contact details of an Inst. Trainer, as i asked - then please do. If you don't, then please don't waste my time with a pointless statement that adds nothing to the conversation.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
    Diverlee - I'm not sure if you're replying to me or Draker. Neither Draker or I have suggested working towards full cave inst in 7 days or a zero-to-hero program.

But if you're replying to me i'm puzzled by your reply. I'm well aware of the steps i'll need to take and the time commitment required. I didn't imply or suggest that i wanted to do it quickly or cut corners. I absolutely don't.

So, if you've got something useful to add to the conservation - like the contact details of an Inst. Trainer, as i asked - then please do. If you don't, then please don't waste my time with a pointless statement that adds nothing to the conversation.

Pete
    Hi Pete.

Welcome to the forum.

I read Diverlee's response as a general non-targeted comment to imply "When one looks at the procedure to become an instructor with quantifiable steps and reviews in the process, it is too bad there are some full cave divers appearing to get "churned out" before they are fully baked. Too bad we could not use a more involved process to generate better prepared full cave divers.

There are also some folks on this forum that will reply with caustic comments. Don't ever recall that as part of Diverlee's style though...

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

I know you ask about Florida or Cancun, sorry, I cannot help you with names there. But is Draker not an IT?

If you are in Asia ( I see Malasya), think about Ben Reymenants. He lives in Thailand. I did my full cave course (as user) with him and he is a TDI Instructor trainer.

Don't give up becoming an instructor. There are vast fortunes to be made teaching diving, and the reason they make it hard is so they do not have to share all of that money, just like the doctors and lawyers, and politicians.

"Ain't nothin' an ol' man can do but bring me a message from a young one."
    "Anytime you see me with my arms around an old man, I'm holding him for the police."
    "My husband was so ugly, he used to stand outside the doctor?s office and make people sick."
    "They say you shouldn't say nothin' about the dead unless it's good. He's dead. Good! "

Moms Mabley 5-23-75

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Not sure if it is relevant, but Kelvin Davidson in Tulum is fantastic.

I know he is an IANTD instructor trainer and a TDI instructor, but I'm not 100% sure about him being a TDI instructor trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post

Pete
    You need a thicker skin that that or you'll be (or perhaps already are) a crappy instructor.