Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Drysuit exhaust valve location

The placement of the exhaust valve on my current dry suit has been causing me problems when trying to vent while in horizontal trim. The valve is pointing almost straight down while I’m horizontal, causing the air to form a large bubble above the valve. In order to successfully dump I have to break out of trim and use my right hand to move the valve over the air bubble.

I’m ordering a new dry suit, and I want to make sure the valve is located in a good location to auto-dump while I am in horizontal trim. Can someone please share pictures of where good valve placement should be?

Thanks!

what type of suit is your current issue with? what type of new suit are you ordering? Most reputable companies have them located in an appropriate location... for example, DUI.

Quote Originally Posted by CWC View Post
    The placement of the exhaust valve on my current dry suit has been causing me problems when trying to vent while in horizontal trim. The valve is pointing almost straight down while I?m horizontal, causing the air to form a large bubble above the valve. In order to successfully dump I have to break out of trim and use my right hand to move the valve over the air bubble.

I?m ordering a new dry suit, and I want to make sure the valve is located in a good location to auto-dump while I am in horizontal trim. Can someone please share pictures of where good valve placement should be?

Thanks!
    I had similar issues when I wore a Bare NexGen Pro. Stupid exhaust pointed down, otherwise a good suit. Switched brands and problem went away.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

I've got a Bare D6 and mine's the same way. I have to pretty much hang vertical for my ten foot stop and let the air percolate up into the arm and then squeeze it out in burps like playing bagpipes.

Does the suit fit properly? When I wear lighter garments than normal, I'll have to do the same thing regardless of three brands I own. When wearing the garment the suit was sized for, no issues.

Take it to gamble he will fix it. Cheaper then a new suit

One of my suits it is on the shoulder (which is ok) and the other is on my left forearm topside. I simply have to raise my arm slightly and it will dump air. Easy way when in trim. Also, it is easy to adjust the valve. Downside is I have a difficult with computer mounting on left arm.

I would recommend to check the valve function before trying to solve this by altering the suit. What type of valve are you using? The Apeks high profile valve is a better choice than the low profile in my opinion. Not only does it vent easier but the smaller membrane diameter makes it less prone to get water in backwards. I like the Apeks better than Sitech myself but have heard others that like Sitech.

Also, the undergarment matters. Some brands have an outer layer that can seal the valve from the inside, Weezle extreme do have this problem among others. Try diving with a ventilating fabric on the top and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by rcn View Post
    I would recommend to check the valve function before trying to solve this by altering the suit. What type of valve are you using? The Apeks high profile valve is a better choice than the low profile in my opinion. Not only does it vent easier but the smaller membrane diameter makes it less prone to get water in backwards. I like the Apeks better than Sitech myself but have heard others that like Sitech.

Also, the undergarment matters. Some brands have an outer layer that can seal the valve from the inside, Weezle extreme do have this problem among others. Try diving with a ventilating fabric on the top and see what happens.
    This sounds like great advice. I recall having this joy more than once and found different band-aid solutions. IIRC, while using a weezle, a piece of duct tape strategically located will prevent the then exterior of the undies from getting sucked into the valve. With a set of Bare undies I once used, the undies were warm but there wasn't any permeable surface to allow gas out.I punched a series of holes through the back of the forearm (using a small soldering iron) to align with a cuff dump and it worked quite well.

A Bare HD suit I used about 15 years ago seemed to have the exhaust valve located too far towards my tri-cept. It was always a PITA to dump because you had to roll your arm inwards. Add to that condition the weezle material jamming the inside and you could have a serious situation. Anyways, before you ditch the suit or have Gamble move the valve, you might want to be sure that your undies aren't adding to the problem. Cheers

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

The last 2 MTM drysuits I specially ordered without fitted exhaust valves. I punched the hole myself, glued the rubber fittings on both sides of the hole and then set the SiTec contaminated-water exhaust valves myself.
    If I screw up a little bit on the location - I'll eventually forgive myself, in 15 years or so.
    If the manufacturer screws up the location a little bit, I'll never forgive them or forget what they did to me. If you explain it that way to the manufacturer they will be happy to let you do your own work.

Michael