Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Tips for holding trim with arthritis in lower back

Lower back has been getting increasingly sore once I go past an hour in the water holding trim. I have arthritis in the lower back from an injury years ago. I'm diving a rEvo. Grateful for any tips on how to hold trim pain free for prolonged periods, max 4 hours or so. I'm currently experimenting with exercise, stretching, NSAID's. Am I missing anything?

Much obliged

Cathal

Here is another angle. I went from significant discomfort after 40 minutes to significant discomfort after 180. I changed two things:

I've found some relief with a longer backplate. Turns out the way the weight laid was causing the pain, not my posture.

Secondly I held my posture a little more relaxed while still in trim. The stiffness of trying for perfection aggravated my pain.

Hope this might help.
    Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    . I'm currently experimenting with exercise, stretching, NSAID's. Am I missing anything?
    Stretching is good,but if you are having trouble with sustained posturing after an hour,mobility may not be an issue. Postural support muscle (aka core) exercise is probably more important. An exercise program that I like for my lower back patients is called dynamic lumbar stabilization, which can be found on Youtube. I would also look at upper thoracic exercise too.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Much obliged for your responses so far. I should have mentioned I do a bit of core work about 5-6 days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    Much obliged for your responses so far. I should have mentioned I do a bit of core work about 5-6 days a week.
    That is good. I really like activities that co-contract abds and back extensors. Dynamic lumbar stabilization is not as fashionable as it used to be, but has some very positive benefits to what you want. There is some interesting research on "deep core", working on the deeper muscles like quadratus lumborum, which could have some benefit for what you want.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

I reckon there is money to be made by the person who invents a backplate for a CCR that can be adjusted for the individual to provide lumbar support similar to the adjustments that can be made in an office chair.

I have found that my knees will drop as my feet come further forward due to my thighs not stretching good any more. I tend to compensate by arching my back even more to hold trim. Stretching the front of my thighs has greatly helped this, but I still have a ways to go.

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk

No naked pictures, just dive stuff. Click Here

Focus on pushing your hips down, NOT arching your back up. There is a big difference. You should actually feel the tension in your hamstrings instead of your lower back.

A couple days in the water with an instructor working just on body position and balance would likely benefit you a bunch and help relieve a lot of that pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kieren View Post
    A couple days in the water with an instructor working just on body position and balance would likely benefited you a bunch and help relieve a lot of that pain.
    A good instructor. I?d even go so far as to recommend a GUE instructor. And might even recommend a fundies course. Worth its weight in good.
    I bet Mr Kieren might even know a fundies Instructor or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Sludge; 04-13-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: fix quote

[QUOTE=Draker;340617]
    Quote Originally Posted by kieren View Post
    A couple days in the water with an instructor working just on body position and balance would likely benefited you a bunch and help relieve a lot of that pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/Q UOTE]
    A good instructor. I?d even go so far as to recommend a GUE instructor. And might even recommend a fundies course. Worth its weight in good.
    I bet Mr Kieren might even know a fundies Instructor or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Speaking of a fundies class, Mr. Draker, I do believe it?s just about your turn, isn?t it? :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk