Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Smaller tanks, shorter dives. Enjoy the time you have in the water, forget the marathon crap and pain.

FWIW, I am not sure if anyone has done sufficient research on NSAIDs to tell you if they impact decompression, however, I know from personal experience that Aleve will increase my blood pressure about 10-15 points on the high side.

"I looked up my family tree and found out I was the sap"
    "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous - everyone hasn't met me yet."
    "Yeah, I know I'm ugly... I said to a bartender, 'Make me a zombie.' He said 'God beat me to it."
    "I went to a fight the other night, and a hockey game broke out."
    "I came from a real tough neighborhood. I put my hand in some cement and felt another hand."

Rodney Dangerfield 10-5-2004

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I have a lot of arthritis in my back from multiple back injuries. Good luck and please post anything that you find that helps. For now I have accepted limited run times to keep the pain withing acceptable limits.
    Ok so I have been experimenting with pieces of rubber around the lower backplate. They reduced discomfort by about 5-10%. I'll post a few pics later but its a very crude setup for now until I find the sweetspot. One change I made that made a big difference was not to tighten my waist strap on the rEvo. I had a habit of sucking in my gut to get the waist strap tight. Last Sunday I left it just closed over and in the water I could really stretch the lower back when it began to get sore. I could really move the knees up towards the opposite shoulder with no difficulty and this brought immediate relief to the lower back pain.
    I'll report back in time if I get anything else to work.

You might also need to stretch out your hamstrings. Sit on a firm platform with one let on the platform knee down and toes up. The other leg should be hanging down. Pull torso forward without lifting knee for 30 seconds. Turn around and do the same with the other leg. Repeat 2 more times.

I have a disk squashed at L5. I have to do this every day as well as core exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    Ok so I have been experimenting with pieces of rubber around the lower backplate. They reduced discomfort by about 5-10%. I'll post a few pics later but its a very crude setup for now until I find the sweetspot. One change I made that made a big difference was not to tighten my waist strap on the rEvo. I had a habit of sucking in my gut to get the waist strap tight. Last Sunday I left it just closed over and in the water I could really stretch the lower back when it began to get sore. I could really move the knees up towards the opposite shoulder with no difficulty and this brought immediate relief to the lower back pain.
    I'll report back in time if I get anything else to work.
    Further update, one more positive adjustment for me anyways was ensuring the shoulder straps were hand tight when kitting up. I had a habit of keeping these loose which resulted in the unit being further down my back and as a result it had been digging into my lower back. Tightening them up a small bit made the unit ride higher up my back taking pressure of the small of my back. The next experiment will be the addition of a cheese board on the rEvo. Should be interesting to see if this makes any difference as its widely reported by users and instructors to make a big difference.

PM me, I am a spine surgeon. You can send me your pucs and I can give you some suggestions on how to dive a bit more comfortable.

Very kind of you, much obliged. I am in the middle of trying out the cheeseboard. Will see how that fares out and might take you up on your offer if I get no progress.

Rgds

Cathal

+1 for stretching and core strengthening. I had a similar issue two years ago (though I didn't suffer such a traumatic injury like you did). Biggest help for me with the lower back was actually plain old sit ups along with trying to maintain correct posture throughout the day. A friend of mine who hurt his back in the Marine corps does this and had suggested it to me. Doing this daily along with some other exercises and stretching eliminated the pain I was experiencing. I'll still experience some discomfort during/after a long dive but it is way more manageable now.

"I want to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am..."