Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

[QUOTE=kieren;340619]
    Quote Originally Posted by Draker View Post

Speaking of a fundies class, Mr. Draker, I do believe it?s just about your turn, isn?t it? :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As soon as I can participate in my sidemount CCR, just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by kieren View Post
    A couple days in the water with an instructor working just on body position and balance would likely benefit you a bunch and help relieve a lot of that pain.
    Thanks for that but the pain is not being caused by poor trim, its being caused by 4 bad discs that have degenerated over the last 20 years. I experience it out of the water as well. Its just that it gets particularly bad after about an hour or so in the water.

not saying you have bad trim at all, but re-evaluating your body position and what muscles are being activated to attain that trim may help the pain.

I did it wrong for ten years, and suffered from lower back pain on longer dives (my back is pretty messed up as well from years of abuse and several slipped discs over the years). Minor adjustments to my body position changed everything, no more back pain.

Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    Thanks for that but the pain is not being caused by poor trim,

Well you did say you dive a Revo

-joke

Hands up there

Another possible change, while in water, is to change your finning technique. Changing from modified frog to modified flutter will alter your body posture, especially in regards to your lower back. Changing that up mid-dive might help. In areas of the cave that allow it, pulling-and-gliding with relaxed legs will help a lot to relieve lower body discomfort. Just a few thoughts.

I have a lot of arthritis in my back from multiple back injuries. As Kelly mentioned and you are doing, core exercise will help a lot. I also stretch every morning as well. After 6 hours my back pain gets so bad I start thinking about getting out of the water and dealing with the deco hit, not a good thing to be considering with another hour or more of deco. I have found nothing, in the water, that I can do to loosen my back up. The only solution I've found is to shorten my dives to what I can manage regarding my back. I have a tends device that I use while driving that helps a lot on long trips. I'm considering making an E/O connector for it and a water proof control box to use it on longer dives. If I do I'll post a thread about it. That project is at the tail end of a long to-do list though so I don't see it happening any time soon. Main point of my post is to advise caution pushing it, if you are like me, the pain may keep mounting making it rather not fun.

Good luck and please post anything that you find that helps. For now I have accepted limited run times to keep the pain withing acceptable limits.

Bobby

The Light Dude
    Innovation through exploration

Local Zip Code Diver

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I have a tends device that I use while driving that helps a lot on long trips. I'm considering making an E/O connector for it and a water proof control box to use it on longer dives. If I do I'll post a thread about it..
    Bobby, interesting project for a TENS device. Be careful with the pads coming loose from perspiration etc, and just having contact with the edge of the pad, because it can cause an electrical burn. I really would like to hear how this project works for you,and your knowledge and technical ability sure makes it feasible.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I have a lot of arthritis in my back from multiple back injuries. As Kelly mentioned and you are doing, core exercise will help a lot. I also stretch every morning as well. After 6 hours my back pain gets so bad I start thinking about getting out of the water and dealing with the deco hit, not a good thing to be considering with another hour or more of deco. I have found nothing, in the water, that I can do to loosen my back up. The only solution I've found is to shorten my dives to what I can manage regarding my back. I have a tends device that I use while driving that helps a lot on long trips. I'm considering making an E/O connector for it and a water proof control box to use it on longer dives. If I do I'll post a thread about it. That project is at the tail end of a long to-do list though so I don't see it happening any time soon. Main point of my post is to advise caution pushing it, if you are like me, the pain may keep mounting making it rather not fun.

Good luck and please post anything that you find that helps. For now I have accepted limited run times to keep the pain withing acceptable limits.
    Much obliged for your post. In an unfortunate way its good for me to hear others suffer from this and I'm not alone. I do ergonomic adjustments in work for staff and I am playing around atm with rubber inserts on the back plate to offer customised lumber support for my own back issues based on typical ergonomic adjustments for office chairs etc. I reckon ultimately there's no silver bullet for this that it will take a range of solutions from stretching, core strength, correctly positioned and supported back-plates and the use where necessary of NSAID's. But lets keep pushing for a solution and I will indeed post any solutions I find that work for me. FYI, all my diving is wreck so it usually hits me as soon as I start the ascent. i find curling the legs up into the torso every couple of minutes helps the pain management. This year I'll be experimenting with NSAID's, breaking trim regularly - going vertical in the water at stops and those rubber inserts on the backplate.

Cathal

2 years ago I broke my L4 vertebra. After it healed, I found that a long backplate with a 2" wide crotch strap mounted 3-4" lower than normal (about mid-buttocks instead of small of the back) helped a lot.

Michael