Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Right on the Ragged Edge
    Posts
    3,152

    Default

    OK, while its not a dive report, I will post my 2018 Sun-N-Fun fly in report. There were some really outstanding airshow performers, as usual. The paraplegic guy with his hang glider, outstanding. Aeroshell team, awesome. Parachutists from the armed services, great.

    Every year for the last 15 or so, there are less aircraft at the air show. In 2000, there were 60 WW II vintage aircraft, they would do formation flyovers every day. You would see 6 or 8 P-51's, several Corsairs, B17's... Every year its less. There may have been 16 of them. All of the big seaplanes are gone. There are less homebuilts and experimental. I remember over a hundred, this year probably 35 or so. Less antiques pre/post WW 2 general aviation aircraft.

    When I started flying in 1977, a new Piper Archer was about $40,000. I looked at the new ones, $450,000. Cessna had a sign that read "New aircraft from $1818 per month.

    Point is, I will stop complaining about the price of rebreathers and new scooters.

    "If we could just find out who's in charge, we could kill him."
    "If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten"
    "I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it"
    "Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town."
    "One tequila, Two tequila, Three tequila, Floor"

    George Carlin 6-22-2008


    "Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

  2. #32
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    22,836

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    OK, while its not a dive report, I will post my 2018 Sun-N-Fun fly in report. There were some really outstanding airshow performers, as usual. The paraplegic guy with his hang glider, outstanding. Aeroshell team, awesome. Parachutists from the armed services, great.

    Every year for the last 15 or so, there are less aircraft at the air show. In 2000, there were 60 WW II vintage aircraft, they would do formation flyovers every day. You would see 6 or 8 P-51's, several Corsairs, B17's... Every year its less. There may have been 16 of them. All of the big seaplanes are gone. There are less homebuilts and experimental. I remember over a hundred, this year probably 35 or so. Less antiques pre/post WW 2 general aviation aircraft.

    When I started flying in 1977, a new Piper Archer was about $40,000. I looked at the new ones, $450,000. Cessna had a sign that read "New aircraft from $1818 per month.

    Point is, I will stop complaining about the price of rebreathers and new scooters.
    I wish I knew you were there. I was there Thursday and Friday.

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    if you're diving this week, please post some conditions reports. Lots of rain for the next day or two and I'm curious how conditions are holding up for the weekend.

    Sites we are considering:
    -Madison Blue
    -Little River
    -Peacock or Peacock III
    -Ginnie (of course)

    Manatee is out... yuck.
    You should post some dive reports of your dives on Saturday.

    Ken Sallot

  4. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,788

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    OK, while its not a dive report, I will post my 2018 Sun-N-Fun fly in report. There were some really outstanding airshow performers, as usual. The paraplegic guy with his hang glider, outstanding. Aeroshell team, awesome. Parachutists from the armed services, great.

    Every year for the last 15 or so, there are less aircraft at the air show. In 2000, there were 60 WW II vintage aircraft, they would do formation flyovers every day. You would see 6 or 8 P-51's, several Corsairs, B17's... Every year its less. There may have been 16 of them. All of the big seaplanes are gone. There are less homebuilts and experimental. I remember over a hundred, this year probably 35 or so. Less antiques pre/post WW 2 general aviation aircraft.

    When I started flying in 1977, a new Piper Archer was about $40,000. I looked at the new ones, $450,000. Cessna had a sign that read "New aircraft from $1818 per month.

    Point is, I will stop complaining about the price of rebreathers and new scooters.
    I've noticed that and I've been less excited to go. I haven't been in two years because I always find better things to do. It's still a damn good airshow, though.

    Anybody crash their hombuilt glider/plane thing in the parking lot this year?


  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    OK, while its not a dive report, I will post my 2018 Sun-N-Fun fly in report. There were some really outstanding airshow performers, as usual. The paraplegic guy with his hang glider, outstanding. Aeroshell team, awesome. Parachutists from the armed services, great.

    Every year for the last 15 or so, there are less aircraft at the air show. In 2000, there were 60 WW II vintage aircraft, they would do formation flyovers every day. You would see 6 or 8 P-51's, several Corsairs, B17's... Every year its less. There may have been 16 of them. All of the big seaplanes are gone. There are less homebuilts and experimental. I remember over a hundred, this year probably 35 or so. Less antiques pre/post WW 2 general aviation aircraft.

    When I started flying in 1977, a new Piper Archer was about $40,000. I looked at the new ones, $450,000. Cessna had a sign that read "New aircraft from $1818 per month.

    Point is, I will stop complaining about the price of rebreathers and new scooters.
    Up at Oshkosh, we've been getting the same drop in attendance. The biggest complaint from flyers is the fuel cost just to get to the show.

    Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    You should post some dive reports of your dives on Saturday.
    good call... I've gotten a little lazy, especially when it comes to a dive at Ginnie, where I assume everyone knows the conditions rarely change.


  7. #37
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Age
    62
    Posts
    1,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    good call... I've gotten a little lazy, especially when it comes to a dive at Ginnie, where I assume everyone knows the conditions rarely change.
    Ahhh, but knowing the cave only helps to further visualize the report for those of us that are so far away (until next weekend)...

    Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

    The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...


 

Similar Threads

  1. Post Hurricane Vis Reports
    By Gibby in forum Dive Reports
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 01:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts