Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Intersorb, it works as well as Sofnolime.
    agree probably as good (from a performance perspective) - but find it more dusty (which might just be subjective) - which causes havoc with my sinuses

just order the sofnolime from divegear express.

True, it is more dusty. But it works further same. When I was in Florida I used Intersorb without problems. In Europe I use Sofnolime.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    There is nothing wrong with Intersorb, it works as well as Sofnolime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive Africa View Post
    agree probably as good (from a performance perspective) - but find it more dusty (which might just be subjective) - which causes havoc with my sinuses
    Quote Originally Posted by Germie View Post
    True, it is more dusty. But it works further same. When I was in Florida I used Intersorb without problems. In Europe I use Sofnolime.

I am surprised..
    these statements in regards to performance are simply not true or at least lack context..

There have been significant testing and objective results that Sofno 812 is the best publicly available Sorb (Paul with rEvo did a lot and publish a lot, but also other OEM that did CE testing show the same results) ..
    Some military grade products (e.g. military Draegersorb) etc. might still outperform but irrelevant.
    Such performance advantage surely is most significant in cold water conditions.. At 4? C (or 39? F) some of the medical products dropped to 30% performace in relation to Sofno 812..
    Even the mesh matters.. as also here for sofno 812 vs sofno CD there was a significant drop..
    Same applies for Intersorb.. Intersorb Plus a bit worse than the "new" "Divesorb" that mimics a 812 mesh but also the Divesorb is simply perfomring less well than Sofno 812 especially in cold water.

So looking at FL cave diving.. Lesser performance difference and in "day to day" use for average CCR John Doe Cave diver there might not be a practical difference in regards to changing out scrubbers etc.
    but implying that it is working "as well" as Sofno 812 is wrong and might be dangerous..

BTW.. I am totally happy using Intersorb Plus (in the right context and conditions) .. mostly I use Intersorb.. But for extra challenging dives and adverse conditions I always choose the extra cushion of Sofno 812 and have to speak up when someone claims that some other sorb is "as good as" intersorb 812 ... it is NOT !

As for Dust: True sofno is more dusty, but if this is creating issues you might want to double check your scrubber setup.. The dust must not wander to the loop but should stay in the scrubber itself..

Last edited by Nitrogenius; 04-11-2018 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Forgot dust addition

Sofnolime 797 vs intersorb 812 you mean.

The (now famous) comparison tests were done between sofnolime 797 with the standard spherical dreagersorb.

For the record I only use Sofnolime 797, and on odd occasion that I dived Intersorb could not see difference but no good readon for there to be a radical difference (as there was with draegersorb) but what I could see is that the chemical composition is very similar and particle size is similar although shape is slightly different between 797 and 812. There is a big difference compared with draegersorb.

But hey read the product leaflet and understand that the all consumables being sorb, O2 cells or batteries work different and lasts different.

Cheers Dries

Last edited by Dive Africa; 04-11-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Ps how do you change your scrubber setup in a radial scrubber in arguably one of the best rebreathers in the world.... and with dust I don't mean wipe the stuff off with a cloth... but after 5 hours of hard work you do get some permeating and if you have a slight allergy a little bit more than usual is well.... annoying.... if you catch my drift...

I apologise although 797 and 812 extrusion sizes are seemingly the similar. 797 are triangular and 812 are tubular.

aaah... I only now notice its the German.... should have kept my moth shut....

Quote Originally Posted by Dive Africa View Post
    Ps how do you change your scrubber setup in a radial scrubber in arguably one of the best rebreathers in the world.... and with dust I don't mean wipe the stuff off with a cloth... but after 5 hours of hard work you do get some permeating and if you have a slight allergy a little bit more than usual is well.... annoying.... if you catch my drift...
    sure i meant sofno 797 which is essentially a 812 mesh.. but you already elaborted on that
    good point on the radial scrubber.. did not think of radials surely a bit more tricky with those to get rid of dust..

as for testing.. no mostly I mean as written the tests by Paul which was not only sofno vs draeger..
    but lots of medical products.. also intersorb plus (the medical also tubular but bigger than the 812) as well as spherasorb (which is a bit better than the intersorb plus but not worth the additinal price imho) and lastly the Intersorb Divesorb 812..
    The latter btw rEvo did also CE bt with different Scrubber rotation times..
    A good impression on the performance diffrence and impact of temp is ggen by those cycling times published by revo between the sofno 797 and the divesorb (intersorb) 812...
    then top it off with the granule sizes and the performance drop already proven between sofno 797 and sofno CD and you get a pretty good idea of the performance drop iwith intersorb plus..

to me intersorb plus provides the best bang for the buck (i pay a little more than 1$ per pound) but would not rely on it on cold water dives.. at least i did not with the inspo.. with the revo and dual scrubber plus rms i would take it if i had no alternative ..
    still the better performance of sofno then makes that even more econmic (i am roughly at double price with sofno 797 at home but in cold water you get more than double scrubber times)
    in warm water intersorb is fine.. never as good as sofno 797though..

cheers

Last edited by Nitrogenius; 04-11-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Tony...Your best bet is to order from Mark Derrick at Dive Gear Express in Clearwater and have it shipped to your desired location in the Gainsville area...if you order before 2 pm...you'll have your sorb the following morning...
    Best...Warren

Quote Originally Posted by W. Meixner View Post
    Tony...Your best bet is to order from Mark Derrick at Dive Gear Express in Clearwater and have it shipped to your desired location in the Gainsville area...if you order before 2 pm...you'll have your sorb the following morning...
    Best...Warren
    That is were i was getting it before. All I wanted to do was to drive down and hit the caves and bring some sorb back and save on shipping. I did not mean to start a sorb war. Thanks Meixer

"...some night, in the chill darkness, someone will make a mistake: The sea will show him no mercy." John T. Cunningham

Quote Originally Posted by W. Meixner View Post
    T Dive Gear Express in Clearwater

Pretty sure they're on the East Coast. If they were in Clearwater, I'd drive the 10 minutes to pick up all my orders rather than waiting 2 days to receive it.