Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Laying Line in a Formerly Abandoned Mine

I have acquired land rights for two large (clear watered and and beautiful) flooded Arizona mines.

ROV work comes first, and only after ROV assessment will any real work be done. Real work for the first year is removing cables, softening hazardous edges, removing sharp metal, removing old machinery/dewatering pipes.

I intend on doing this work solo (pairs). This is an open invitation for adventurous folks who are patient, willing to wait, not trespass and dedicated to preserving the history of the property.

Abandoned mines and the federal government are very touchy for good reason. They are absolutely dangerous, left unsealed they kill the foolish. When occupied and unsecured they do the same. Artificial caves kill divers.

Eventually this mine will be dewatered. I have a few years before any real mining needs to be demonstrated and even then BLM accepts scientific research as work. I don't ever expect to get this land converted unless I fix my karmic balance. Who knows.

Since this post is filled with controversy already, please don't say the obvious. We all know the risks. This is my land and I only want to share this small slice of cool desert water with serious individuals.

If this turns into arguments, I'm closing the thread.

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN ! seriously would love to see some video or something

Quote Originally Posted by kylejones982 View Post
    PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN ! seriously would love to see some video or something
    Can do, when I return from Tucson I will upload a little bit. For obvious reasons (recognizable to locals), I have to obscure the entrance and danger warning sign with the grid coordinates.

I'm local and depending on travel plans, should have most of May off if you'd like some support. I've got a lot of familial history from Tombstone on south to the border. I'd be interested in what you find out.

I'm headed to Florida with my rebreather for a bit before work, then may or may not be back end of the month.

Sounds like a once in a life time opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

Sounds nice. Curious on the pics. We have some divable mines in Europe too. Dove mines in Germany, Belgium, France, Slowakia.All have their own history.

I'll be thinking of this as I drive across country on I-10 this Wednesday. Years ago I talked with the W'berg mine/museum owners north of Phoenix about this possibility. Too much liability they said.
    When my family lived in LA county for a couple years in the late 70s, my brother and I explored a couple of mines in the San Gabriel Mountains, with one multi-tiered with old wooden ladders. I went back to find them in the 90s and they were blocked off with steel doors, etc.
    I've always loved the history of the old West and mines are right in there with that.

Where in Arizona is the mine?

Quote Originally Posted by lungwater View Post
    ROV work comes first, and only after ROV assessment will any real work be done. Real work for the first year is removing cables, softening hazardous edges, removing sharp metal, removing old machinery/dewatering pipes..................Eventually this mine will be dewatered..
    Not sure I understand the purpose of this project. If the place is going to be "dewatered", then why the need to send in cave divers to remove cables etc? Is the purpose of the cave divers to remove these hazards for preparation of the mining work?

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

The BLM {Bureau of Land Management}is the reckoning US Government force that controls most everything of any value, land, rivers or otherwise. I've explored some potential flooded mines in Summit County, Colo & can tell you that these mines are risky business at best, and contain serious breakdown, and timber rot thru out them. They are not worth the risk of life to even attempt to dive them. A team of tech divers from Denver ck'd them out a few years ago and found them to be securely gated shut by the BLM with warning signs posted. They are high altitude mine shafts {above 10,000ft}which represents a complex set of deco tables.
    But your idea seems intriguing. I just would not pursue it. In my opinion a costly and dangerous idea at best !