Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Questions about diving in Mexico

Hi I'm planning on attending cave camp in September and have some basic questions about spending a week diving in Mexico.
    How much on average is it to fill a twinset, how much is it to rent a car for a week and how much does it usually cost to feed oneself ?
    Everything else seems to be included included within the cost of cave camp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by kylejones982 View Post
    Hi I'm planning on attending cave camp in September and have some basic questions about spending a week diving in Mexico.
    How much on average is it to fill a twinset, how much is it to rent a car for a week and how much does it usually cost to feed oneself ?

I believe fills are $5a tank for sm bottles. Plus a daily $5 rental fee. I think. I never look at my bill just the total. Car rental is very very variable. If you use a provider like ez car rental that is not located on the airport it can be in th realm of $300 for a week with a smaller car. I personally rent through Avis because I have a corporate account with a small discount. It is pricier because any rental agent that provides services on airport property levy a heavy fee in the form of a special tax. I have a credit card with a high annual fee specifically for travelling to mexico and renting cars. My insurance is fully covered by the card eventhough its out of the country. Many cc say that their coverage is full coverage but its not. So when I tell the agents I decline all insurances they spend 10 minutes telling me I'm wrong about my cc. I just ignore it. I've had about 20 conversations with the cc company confirming the accuracy of the coverage.

I personally had nothing but issues the few times we used off the airport car rentals we've had problems from seriously long waits in the heat to crappy problematic cars. The extra cost through avis is worth it. This last trip with an suv during the high season for spring break my bill was $700 for a week. I think my average for a week with avis is about $550

I would message James Draker or Marrissa. They can probably provide you with any information you need.

Food is cheap in Mexico and if you eat where the locals eat you can pig out for well under $10. Go to the tourist hotspots and you are basically paying US prices. As far as tank rental prices I have seen less than $3 USD / Al80 up to regular US pricing. It depends on what level of service you want and your contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by kylejones982 View Post

Tank prices are generally $10 per tank nitrox included (doubles and SM are $20). Most people typically do two sets of doubles or a set of doubles and 2 stages and spend $40 per day.

Car rental can be a crap shoot. Use Expedia or a similar site that offers some form of liability coverage included in the price and stick to a major US brand--they will still try to trick you demanding you buy all kinds of insurance, but I feel like I might have more protection if I need to argue with a major US brand at some point. Would also try to use a premium travel credit card that has good auto damage collision waiver included. I use Chase Sapphire Reserve. Prices are typically around $30 a day for an mid size SUV. Prices can change a lot though, my last trip I actually made a car reservation the day I was flying down for $30 USD less and ignored the reservation I made months before. Beware, one trick that rental agencies have is they have a very high USD conversion rate, but charge you in Pesos. The high conversion rate makes the listed USD price appear lower, but then charging you in pesos means the "normal" exchange rate is applied by the credit card company. Just be aware of this and/or try to have the rental car company charge you in USD if possible.

Google search on getting gas in mexico. It's crazy to see a country so focused on screwing the tourists. When the gas meter stops, keep an eye on it and repeat the number at least twice. They have a button that will just magically add on 20-30 pesos to the final total. Also pay them with bills one at a time--they love to swap out a 200 dollar pesos note for 20 and than claim you didn't pay enough.

Entry fees to caves are typically $200-$250 pesos ( a good reason to get pesos)

Food--Meals can be very cheap or slightly more expensive depending on where you eat and what you order. I would say app, plus entree, plus drink or two can run from $250-$400 pesos and would be very filling.

Most places take credit cards and I got a very good exchange rate on my cards. I would still bring some pesos down with me to pay entrance fees, get gas, and for some smaller shops (like gelato or some taco stands) where they have minimum spend requirements to accept credit cards.

I have been diving in Mexico about four times per year for the last 5 years. It is an awesome experience, but a few things to keep in mind:

-the only people blatantly trying to rip you off are the gas station attendants and the police; all gas is full service down there, make sure you watch the numbers on the pump continuously. they will try and distract you by asking to check your tires, wash your windows, etc., but all these are are attempts to get you to look away from the pump. The other trick is you hand them 500 pesos and through incredible slight of hand they are suddenly holding a 50 peso bill. Just be firm, tell them you know you gave them a 500, and they will back off pretty quickly
    -cops will stop you because you are in a rental car. the best way to deal with this is have ONLY $10-$20 in your wallet and ask if they'd be kind enough to let you pay the ticket there on the spot. If you have more, they'll take more, but they'll let you go for $10 to $20. It sucks to perpetuate this scam, but if you play hardball they will gladly keep you on the side of the road for 2-3 hrs until you've missed your flight home.
    -tanks and fills are more expensive then what you pay in Floriday with your own tanks. I'm paying $6 per tank and $6 per fill, and you don't want to come back to the shop to fill in the middle of the day, so at 4 tanks per day that's $48/day.. it adds up.
    -I rent from Easy Way Car Rental, they are about a mile outside the Cancun airport. Always completely honest. Car rentals are expensive there. For a small car it'll be 3-400 for the week. Something a little bigger like a hatchback will be $600-$700 for the week.
    -Food at a restaurant beach will be more expensive than a US restaurant, while a taco stand on the side of the street will be super delicious and fill you up for about $3.

Overall Mexico is a great experience. The people are warm, happy, generous people, and if you take the time to learn even a little bit of spanish and take an interest in their culture, they are great hosts.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I would message James Draker or Marrissa. They can probably provide you with any information you need.

Food is cheap in Mexico and if you eat where the locals eat you can pig out for well under $10. Go to the tourist hotspots and you are basically paying US prices. As far as tank rental prices I have seen less than $3 USD / Al80 up to regular US pricing. It depends on what level of service you want and your contacts.
    you can eat for a whole day for under 10 bucks if you're careful where you go.

i always use easyway car rental. cant say enough good things about those dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post

True that. Some of the best meals we've haf equaled $2 for two people.

Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post

i pretty much lived off a food stand in Chemuyil. Always something to try every day and the old lady was great. Tortas were delicious and basically 20-30 pesos if i recall right.