Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just for Jeff

Administrator Forum Admin

Smile Just for Jeff

I took an old friend on a dive into Peacock 3 on Saturday. Our plan was to dive the spring tunnel on rebreathers. We got off to a bad start, and stirred up a bunch of silt at the entrance tieoff. After a few minutes I started hearing gurgling in my hoses. I drained the water into the counterlung. A little bit later, I heard it again, and drained again. When we got to the jump for the spring tunnel, I decided to abort that plan, and just go to the end of the gold line. On the way out, just past the sand slide, the gurgling got really bad, and soon I got a mouth full of caustic. I bailed to open circuit, and rinsed my mouth out, and showed my buddy that I had bailed, and we headed out. The rest of the trip was uneventful, and we had a good dive in spite of my little problem.

After lunch, we did another dive in P1, up the Peanut tunnel, to the crossover, then back to P1 on the Olsen line. That dive was much better than the P3 dive

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

we had P3 issues when we dove it this weekend too. Attempt #1 was with a Manta lung on my meg and I couldn't breathe properly. Aborted, raced back to Cathy's, grabbed my OTS lungs, swapped them over, and got back in. Attempt #2, my buddy had a HP spool o-ring completely blow out. Guess they call them shake-down dives for a reason...

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    we had P3 issues when we dove it this weekend too. Attempt #1 was with a Manta lung on my meg and I couldn't breathe properly. Aborted, raced back to Cathy's, grabbed my OTS lungs, swapped them over, and got back in. Attempt #2, my buddy had a HP spool o-ring completely blow out. Guess they call them shake-down dives for a reason...
    That is interesting, as I told my buddy I thought I heard y'all abort your dive.

Sump Divers

What was the reason you found for the water in the loop?

Quote Originally Posted by wiley1 View Post
    What was the reason you found for the water in the loop?
    I am still not sure. I have cleaned it out, and I will check it for leaks. I already checked the mouthpiece for leaks. If I don't find any other leaks, I am going to have to assume "loose lips"

Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I am still not sure. I have cleaned it out, and I will check it for leaks. I already checked the mouthpiece for leaks. If I don't find any other leaks, I am going to have to assume "loose lips"
    I had a REALLY gurgly dive this weekend, too, that I'm also blaming on loose lips. Kept draining into the lung, it kept coming back into the exhale hose. Didn't make it to the scrubber, though, so I'm one ahead of you there.

Jim

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks Forrest. You care! (And greatly appreciated).

I transitioned from a walker to a cane today. Cut pain meds in half. Progress w PT. One week down.

Not certain if I?ll be diving by the conference, but pretty certain I?ll make my way over there.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

Quote Originally Posted by diveconjeff View Post
    Thanks Forrest. You care! (And greatly appreciated).

I transitioned from a walker to a cane today. Cut pain meds in half. Progress w PT. One week down.

Not certain if I?ll be diving by the conference, but pretty certain I?ll make my way over there.
    Yea, if you can't dive, at least go somewhere people are talking about diving

Sump Divers

Speaking of PIII...
    Not on rebreathers, but did the Spring Tunnel Wednesday, just backgas, so fairly short dive -- turned before the first T. Spring tunnel water, which is usually pretty clear, was cloudy/milky (not particulate), and tannic in places -- suitably spooky. One of my favorite tunnels at Peacock. Mainline in, alternate mainline out, PII/balcony over and back (water level is low).

Did have a little sport on Monday and Tuesday -- Monday my buddy blew an HP hose almost through the Waterhole shortcut tunnel -- silted it out turning around, so a zero viz on part of the exit back to the Peanut line. Tuesday up the Martz offshoot and silted that out too up around a vertical crack where, I think, the line T's around a rock (my buddy in front could see where we were going, I could just seen an occasional fin through the dust after that vertical crack). Also went up a jump off the offshoot maybe 100' in on the right (going in) -- got small and dusty in a hurry in there too. So got to practice line following. Two other dives were different routes through the Olsen Bypass, which I also like.

"It was more than breathtaking, it was like having stumbled upon some alien cathedral on some other planet, which some otherworld race with their incomprehensible architecture and alien sculpture had ages past built, decorated, and dedicated to their unknowable God."
    James Jones. His Capitol M Manhood. In Down Time: Great Writers on Diving, 2nd ed.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDiver View Post
    Speaking of PIII...

... So got to practice line following...
    Sounds like line following for real. They say its a good skill for cave diving.

Got to be careful about tailgating though. I?ve seen fins suddenly appear inches from my mask requiring rapid deployment of the forearm mask shield.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...