Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
The diver does not know the locations, is oblivious of all the specifics and has not been in caves so far?

For me the first overhead dives were in mines too and if you ask me it's a different world.
So I can sort of relate to the situation.

As a result the diver can not be familiar with the type of environment, certainly not with the flow,the silt and clay in side passages.
Also the concept of lines in Florida, navigation and such would be new to the individual as well.

I would go further than the suggestion to get a guide and would recommend hiring an instructor for a day (or better even for two to three days).
The price should be around the same, guiding or teaching, and in my humble opinion it would be money well spent.

For someone familiar to cave diving, the type of caves etc, I would say a guide is optional.

The big underground mines of Sweden are typically cave like in scope and line layout. I’d argue that they are more complex than most river caves, at least when it comes to navigation. Also the environment is harsh enough that tourist caves in Florida will seem benign as long as you stay within certification limits. A diver trained here doesn’t need to relearn how to cave dive but an environment orientation and advice on how to handle the flow is very useful. Though I would argue for a guide in the same way for someone who had trained in Mexico and tried cave diving with flow for the first time.