Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Isaksson View Post
    ... the entire cave diving curriculum can be completed in the mines ...
    It can be completed in a duck pond with lines and some dive-throughs as well. As I have already said which you apparently missed.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Other than the ladder, looks pretty "cavey" to me.
    They edited to made it look more interesting. Almost all mines consist of mostly straight cut hallways to transport heavy duty machinery on even ground.

Johan you have missed the major point:
    There is bents opinion and there is a lot of wrong opinions..
    there is no other

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Isaksson View Post
    The final argument against mines is usually the size of the system, quarries and 100 feet tunnels tend to be referenced. In this case maximum linear penetration from the entry site is approximately 3500 feet headed west and another 1500 east. At a guess maybe 10 000 feet of lined passage but that is per level. Levels come everyone 110 feet or so and the place is 1500 feet deep. The deepest dives I know of were done to about 600 ft though dives beyond 250 are somewhat rare.
    My final argument against mines is that they can be unstable. I have seen colapses in mines, and I don't go into them anymore.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    My final argument against mines is that they can be unstable. I have seen colapses in mines, and I don't go into them anymore.
    Compared to caves mines are highly unstable from a geological sense but from a diving perspective these risks can largely be mitigated with knowledge and research. In our particular case Sweden is mostly granite, the area is not very actice geologically and many of the methods used for mining tend to leave stable constructions. In addition swedish law required each mine to have a surveyor and these survey maps are all digitized. They include samplings done and have risk areas marked and they can thus be avoided. Knowing how excavation was done, knowing how the miners handled these areas and how to spot them makes it safe enough that I do not mind bringing my kids along touring in the dry areas.

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    It can be completed in a duck pond with lines and some dive-throughs as well. As I have already said which you apparently missed.

They edited to made it look more interesting. Almost all mines consist of mostly straight cut hallways to transport heavy duty machinery on even ground.
    First of all, it is a random clip off of youtube. It is probably not part of a conspiracy to prove you wrong four years later. There are hours more of clips from various origins showing this and other areas of the mine. I don’t think you’ll like them any better however.

Your other suggestion is not only wrong but also totally illogical. The purpose of a mine is to extract as much ore as possible with the least amount of tunnelling possible. Unless it’s been filled up (used in some excavation methods that are scary dangerous to dive) it will mainly consist of great halls left over from the mining that’s been done. Big tunnels are kept to a minimum because they cost money.

The most important question now is do you still want to come to Florida to dive now that you've gotten a taste of the stupidity and infighting

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    The most important question now is do you still want to come to Florida to dive now that you've gotten a taste of the stupidity and infighting
    Haha, more than ever! Some discussions was expected since I was open with the mine diving background on a cave oriented forum

By the way, I went to Sala silvermine for some diving during last winter. Two of the guys made a nice movie from the famous "barrel room". I can guarantee that Sala will impress anyone that enters the site.

https://youtu.be/_aM5NtFznxc

Quote Originally Posted by rcn View Post
    Haha, more than ever! Some discussions was expected since I was open with the mine diving background on a cave oriented forum

By the way, I went to Sala silvermine for some diving during last winter. Two of the guys made a nice movie from the famous "barrel room". I can guarantee that Sala will impress anyone that enters the site.

https://youtu.be/_aM5NtFznxc
    That video is just a part of the conspiracy. The diver is obviously a giant.

Looks great in there..
    As I am working a lot lately in Sweden maybe I should get more into the topic. Is there a rough overview map where the mines are located across Sweden?

The stage sits horrible though..

If you are working near Stockholm you will easily reach the mines by car. Google "Bergslagen" and you will get a map over the part of Sweden where the mines are located.

Sala
    Tuna Hastberg
    Langban
    A-gruvan (less accessible on private property)

Maybe Johan can fill in with better information, I have only dived two out of the four mines

Last edited by rcn; 03-12-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: replaced swedish letters