Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Isaksson View Post
    ... when I teach mine diving ...

Ahhh, here we go. I thought you really don't understand. There are instructors in Germany too who teach people 'cave diving' in a mine or an old tunnel. Those guys have the same spiel... I guess it's better for business to sell cave cards instead of mine diving and safes a lot of travel expenses.

I'm not 'trying to convey' anything I wrote what I meant several times now. If you don't understand, ask a friend to help you translate. Stop twisting my words!

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post

Ahhh, here we go. I thought you really don't understand. There are instructors in Germany too who teach people 'cave diving' in a mine or an old tunnel. Those guys have the same spiel... I guess it's better for business to sell cave cards instead of mine diving and safes a lot of travel expenses.

I'm not 'trying to convey' anything I wrote what I meant several times now. If you don't understand, ask a friend to help you translate. Stop twisting my words!
    Yes, I teach mine diving in mines which results in a mine diver certification card. I do this for fun because I enjoy showing the mines to new divers, it pays less than my day job. Now, do you actually have anything closely resembling a proper counterpoint to my argument? What makes a mine such as I've described unsuitable to teach overhead diving in to the degree that you think people need to retake a cave class in order to do intro level dives?

Stop twisting my words!
    rofl..
    look who is talking..

Now, do you actually have anything closely resembling a proper counterpoint to my argument?
    ?ou have no argument, again for the 4th time, If you can't see or understand the difference between a cave and a mine, I don't know what to tell you. I don't care what you believe.

See what I mean?l

?ou have no argument, again for the 4th time, If you can't see or understand the difference between a cave and a mine, I don't know what to tell you. I don't care what you believe.
    I think I have an excellent argument. I can with confidence say that the entire cave diving curriculum can be completed in the mines in question without taking any shortcuts or doing skills and experience parts in a watered down way. I know this because the mine diving curriculum is a word for word copy of the same cave diving courses. I can also compare it to the cave diving training I've received from various instructors in Mexico, Florida, Finland and in Sweden.

In this video you can get a few glimpses of what it is like. Nothing about this environment is in any way cave like. At roughly two minutes in you can truly appreciate the truck-sized tunnels people breeze through.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfwVhjcxYQ

As a sidenote, if anyone wants to visit Sweden the underground mines are open year round. We happily host foreign visitors and cave certs are just as valid as mine diving ones.

I think I have an excellent argument. I can with confidence say that the entire cave diving curriculum can be completed in the mines in question without taking any shortcuts or doing skills and experience parts in a watered down way. I know this because the mine diving curriculum is a word for word copy of the same cave diving courses. I can also compare it to the cave diving training I've received from various instructors in Mexico, Florida, Finland and in Sweden.

In this video you can get a few glimpses of what it is like. Nothing about this environment is in any way cave like. At roughly two minutes in you can truly appreciate the truck-sized tunnels people breeze through.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gfwVhjcxYQ

As a sidenote, if anyone wants to visit Sweden the underground mines are open year round. We happily host foreign visitors and cave certs are just as valid as mine diving ones.
    Please let me know when the water warms up enough that I won?t require dry gloves and I?ll book my ticket.

That place looks seriously awesome. Definitely one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Other than the ladder, looks pretty "cavey" to me. Bent can be a little bent out of shape about stuff sometimes. He's entertaining, but don't take it too serious.

Johan,

Apparently you have a poor grasp of American English or you would know this. If you don't know this already, get a friend to help you translate your posts. When you post a video like this you are always supposed to follow it up with the word 'burn.'

Seriously though, love that dive. Seems like a perfect hybrid of wreck and cave diving. With the hazards and complexities of both at the same time. I'd like to come dive it myself but it would conflict with my deeply held conviction that everything European sucks.

CJ

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The final argument against mines is usually the size of the system, quarries and 100 feet tunnels tend to be referenced. In this case maximum linear penetration from the entry site is approximately 3500 feet headed west and another 1500 east. At a guess maybe 10 000 feet of lined passage but that is per level. Levels come everyone 110 feet or so and the place is 1500 feet deep. The deepest dives I know of were done to about 600 ft though dives beyond 250 are somewhat rare.