Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Experienced Gunsmith?

Looking for some advice that requires more than book knowledge of off-the-shelf bullets and guns.

Specifically .45 LC and other .45s, up to .460
    Other calibers may be relevant.

Lever Guns
    Revolvers

Bear/Deer/OTHER predators

PM?

Thanks,

Justin

https://www.wildwestguns.com

I would look there, either Anchorage or Las Vegas. An acquaintance of mine lives in Las Vegas and he collects old lever guns and shoots Cowboy Action. He has told me more than once that Wild West Guns is his go-to gunsmith, even if he did not live in Las Vegas he would still use them.

At 50 dives, I thought I had this diving thing figured out. At 100 dives, I realized how wrong I was at 50.

Cancer survivor since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Vlahos View Post
    https://www.wildwestguns.com

I would look there, either Anchorage or Las Vegas. An acquaintance of mine lives in Las Vegas and he collects old lever guns and shoots Cowboy Action. He has told me more than once that Wild West Guns is his go-to gunsmith, even if he did not live in Las Vegas he would still use them.
    Thanks, Mark!

Quote Originally Posted by Danseur View Post
    Bear/Deer/OTHER predators
    Yeah, those predatory deer are pretty scary.

"Most people don't know that I am an accomplished dramatic actor... But I've performed in several Shakespeare productions including Hamlet, except in this version, Hamlet lives in an apartment with two women, and has to pretend he's gay so that the landlord won't evict him."

"Once during a taping there was an actor who kept blowing his lines. It happened again and again. Finally Norman Fell came out-he wasn't even in that scene. But Norman came out and you know what he did? He killed the guy with a hammer."

"If I found a cure for a huge disease, while I was hobbling up onstage to accept the Nobel Prize they'd be playing the theme song from 'Three's Company'."

John Ritter 9-11-2003

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Quote Originally Posted by OFG-1 View Post
    Yeah, those predatory deer are pretty scary.

10 or 12 years ago we were mugged for cookies by a gang of deer in the Manatee Springs parking lot.

I've seen a video of a deer kill a hunter by stomping him to death. They can be dangerous.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    I've seen a video of a deer kill a hunter by stomping him to death. They can be dangerous.
    Yea, that guy probably spilled doe scent on his jacket. Or had buddies with an odd sense of humor.

Thanks for the attention, but you all know exactly what I meant. ��

If you're looking at bear, go with a .375 H&H or at most a .416 Rigby. Skip the lever action. A bolt gun is more reliable in "austere" conditions where you're more likely to encounter a bear.

For a pistol, a Glock 20SF with something like the Buffalo Bore 220grn hard cast will do ya. Big ass revolvers look impressive, but you're one and done if you're using it as protection in bear country. A 10mm German w?ndergun is much easier to shoot well, repeatedly, when you're dealing with an aggressive animal.

This is coming from spending time in Alaska. If you're not going into grizzly country, a fancy lever gun and a revolver with a chamber like a tuna can might be alright. And all of them will be capable of protecting you from a predatory deer. Although it might be a close one.....