Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Putting Together O2 Regulator For Deco

    So,

    Looking towards the deco process and interested in opinions on which gear to invest in for an O2 Deco regulator.

    Currently looking at the Dive Rite setup and the DGX setup which is a Deep Six regulator. Any opinions?

    Thanks for your input.

    Dominick

    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.

  2. #2

    Default

    what are the rest of your regulators?


  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    what are the rest of your regulators?
    Scubapro MK20, Scubapro MK25, Scubapro G250, Scubapro Balanced Adjustable (which I will likely be replacing with Dive Rite XT2).

    I also have two MK10s, another G250, and a dive rite XT2

    Dominick Gheesling

    Hike your own hike.

  4. #4

    Default

    O2 clean one of the MK10's, and stick a G250 or the BA on there whichever you prefer. No need to buy something new when you have those regs. I'd just use the MK20/g250 and MK25/g250 as your primary, and a mk10/BA for your O2 reg.

    I use MK10/109 as my deco regs, quite happy with them


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,731

    Default

    I use a mk10/g250 from ebay I had sludge clean up


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  6. #6

    Default

    I used HOG d3/zenith setups for all of my regs (deco/stage and Sidemount bottles). Great performance and value. Plus hog is one of the only manufacturers I know of that will teach any certified diver to work on their own regulators and perform rebuilds and tuning.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    I used HOG d3/zenith setups for all of my regs (deco/stage and Sidemount bottles). Great performance and value. Plus hog is one of the only manufacturers I know of that will teach any certified diver to work on their own regulators and perform rebuilds and tuning.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I use the Hog D1s for back gas and the Deep6 reg (similiar to Hog D3) for deco. I like the form factor of the reg as it allows the low pressure turret to fully rotate giving me nice hose routing. Deep6 goes one step further and includes your first service kit right in the box.

    Some don't like to use diaphragm regulators because they see the diaphragm as a big fuel source for a fire. I'm not to worried about that.


  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrpai View Post
    I use the Hog D1s for back gas and the Deep6 reg (similiar to Hog D3) for deco. I like the form factor of the reg as it allows the low pressure turret to fully rotate giving me nice hose routing. Deep6 goes one step further and includes your first service kit right in the box.

    * I don't know much about Deep6 regs.. but I thought their big thing was that they service them for life? why would they include an annual kit with a new reg?

    Some don't like to use diaphragm regulators because they see the diaphragm as a big fuel source for a fire. I'm not to worried about that.
    This seems a bit far fetched... has anyone had/known of a reg exploding with 100% o2 use? I would think a piston style reg would burn/explode just as easy as a diphragm reg if conditions were right, but I've never heard of this happening.

    Not a hit on Chrpai, but I've heard the same comments elsewhere and find it a bit odd.


  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    This seems a bit far fetched... has anyone had/known of a reg exploding with 100% o2 use? I would think a piston style reg would burn/explode just as easy as a diphragm reg if conditions were right, but I've never heard of this happening.

    Not a hit on Chrpai, but I've heard the same comments elsewhere and find it a bit odd.
    when you open up diaphragms that have a long history of O2 use, especially in cave country where O2 is pumped to 3000psi, the diaphragms usually have some sort of crispiness on them. Level of crispiness dependent on how much O2 use it sees. I.e. the instructors regulators are usually more than those of us not fortunate enough to be in cave country.
    I have not heard of one actually going up because of it, but it's a factor. Is it one to have me avoid a diaphragm? no, but I will choose to use a piston if I can. Less disruptive gas path in general and due to the larger flow area, the gas velocity should be quite a bit lower as well *high flow is a good thing*


  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    when you open up diaphragms that have a long history of O2 use, especially in cave country where O2 is pumped to 3000psi, the diaphragms usually have some sort of crispiness on them. Level of crispiness dependent on how much O2 use it sees. I.e. the instructors regulators are usually more than those of us not fortunate enough to be in cave country.
    I have not heard of one actually going up because of it, but it's a factor. Is it one to have me avoid a diaphragm? no, but I will choose to use a piston if I can. Less disruptive gas path in general and due to the larger flow area, the gas velocity should be quite a bit lower as well *high flow is a good thing*
    In your experience are you seeing this "crispiness" on Regulators that haven't been serviced in a long time or is this within the normal one or two year service interval?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk



 

Similar Threads

  1. FS: Dive Rite Oxygen/Deco Regulator
    By MacLeod in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2017, 11:47 AM
  2. Sherwood Shadow Deco/Stage regulator (I have two)
    By LandonL in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2014, 07:11 PM
  3. Deco Regulator 02 Clean?
    By shellmoundal in forum Gear, Equipment & Tools for Cave Diving
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-15-2013, 09:03 AM
  4. Dive Rite stage/deco regulator
    By LiteHedded in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2010, 02:28 PM
  5. FS: Oceanic deco regulator
    By amphipod06 in forum Gear Exchange
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 08:08 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts