Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Here is the result from the dives: I hired a guide through Cave country, and the guide were none less than Jon Bernot! We started with four shake down dives at Peacock, VERY good advice earlier in the thread to start with Peacock. The flow later at Ginnie was something to deal with! We did two dives at Ginnie the day after Peacock.

I used backmounted steel 85s on all dives and at Peacock I calculated with using 1/3 of 2/3, just to take it easy in the new environment and in a no flow cave. We reached pothole when diving the Olsen line and when diving the other (left) line we reached the point where the cave started to get bigger. A bit sad that I could not see the cave past that point which Jon said is really nice.

At Ginnie the day after we calculated with thirds since the flow will help us on the way out in case of any event. Also, with the elevated sac rate in the flow we (I) would hardly reach the point where the flow calms down if we used the gas plan from the day before. We dove both from the ear and from the eye and reached the calmer part of the cave on dive two (from the ear) but had to turn on gas just past that point. I really wanted to see past the high flow point but was at the same time careful to not end up in a co2 situation which could escalate into something scary, we chose to take it slow and easy on all the dives.

The visibility in the caves was better than I have ever seen on any dive and the caves are really beautiful and impressive.

As a summary I am most satisfied with the trip! Everything about the dives exceeded my (high) expectations and just to meet and talk to the Bernot family was something I could have paid for without diving. Jon as a guide, top class and highly recommended to anyone since he has the ability to change the game to the needs of the student.

I'll be back someday

Quote Originally Posted by rcn View Post
    Here is the result from the dives: I hired a guide through Cave country, and the guide were none less than Jon Bernot! We started with four shake down dives at Peacock, VERY good advice earlier in the thread to start with Peacock. The flow later at Ginnie was something to deal with! We did two dives at Ginnie the day after Peacock.

I used backmounted steel 85s on all dives and at Peacock I calculated with using 1/3 of 2/3, just to take it easy in the new environment and in a no flow cave. We reached pothole when diving the Olsen line and when diving the other (left) line we reached the point where the cave started to get bigger. A bit sad that I could not see the cave past that point which Jon said is really nice.

At Ginnie the day after we calculated with thirds since the flow will help us on the way out in case of any event. Also, with the elevated sac rate in the flow we (I) would hardly reach the point where the flow calms down if we used the gas plan from the day before. We dove both from the ear and from the eye and reached the calmer part of the cave on dive two (from the ear) but had to turn on gas just past that point. I really wanted to see past the high flow point but was at the same time careful to not end up in a co2 situation which could escalate into something scary, we chose to take it slow and easy on all the dives.

The visibility in the caves was better than I have ever seen on any dive and the caves are really beautiful and impressive.

As a summary I am most satisfied with the trip! Everything about the dives exceeded my (high) expectations and just to meet and talk to the Bernot family was something I could have paid for without diving. Jon as a guide, top class and highly recommended to anyone since he has the ability to change the game to the needs of the student.

I'll be back someday
    im glad CDF didnt scare you away. You were in good hands w/ JB!

Glad to hear it, sounds like a great trip!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Sounds like an good trip! Still plenty more cave to explore. Peacock is always my go-to dive for my first day back in Florida.

Next time you're down here check out Little River and Madison Blue too..

Sounds like you had a lot of fun and a great guide. When you come back, also hire a scooter and some stages

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Sounds like you had a lot of fun and a great guide. When you come back, also hire a scooter and some stages
    Still at beginner level but maybe some day ...

Skickat fr?n min iPhone med Tapatalk