Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius View Post
    don't..
    Guiding in the area is really expensive..
    Choose some dates when you want to go and make a post here in CDF to find a buddy..
    There is lots of locals that are happy to show you around under a buddy umbrella and not guiding..

Also if you go to the dive shops you might be able to get a hook up..
    to be fair you should let them know that the flow will be new to you, but I am sure there still will be folks that don't bother to help..
    Expensive, that's interesting. While there are some people that are great mentors, there are also people that are not. There is also an incredible value to hiring a reputable professional guide.

A guide will be an active and experienced diver, probably at least a cavern instructor, that is quite familiar with the sites in the area. A guide will be willing to dive to your level on the dive you want to do, within your ability, rather than pressuring you into a dive you are uncomfortable with. A professional guide will have functioning gear, and probably spare sets in case something breaks. A guide will also be able to provide helpful tips and techniques to help mentor you and help you grow.

Most of the people I know that work as guides in the area charge between $250 and $300 for a full day of guiding. A full day is usually at least a 10 hour commitment on their part (between prep for the dive day and break down after plus travel and communication/planning with their clients in advance). By the time you factor in fuel, insurance, maintenance on gear, etc, it's really not that expensive to hire a professional guide.

What's your time worth?

Ken Sallot

While I agree with what Ken said fully, depending on the location there are also well known passionate local people, like MA (currently out with an injury), who will dive with people of varying levels just because they love cave diving...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Classic Nitrogenius. Sorry, I can't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    By the time you factor in fuel, insurance, maintenance on gear, etc, it's really not that expensive to hire a professional guide.
    I think that's the part a lot of people don't think about. All the cost you have as a self employed anything.

Also, some people think you're doing your hobby when you train or guide people. I was once asked by a student whether I wanted to split the cost for renting a privat boat for his training dives .

OT question: What's with the creepy eye that keeps popping up next to the red line arrow?

Costs are relative to needs. When the toilet is running over, most of you will gladly call a plumber for $100 to come and tell you not to flush a tampon or condom. Some guides have a lot of expenses. Just think of how much Rob McGann spends on beard conditioner.

"Those who the gods seek to destroy, first learn how to play golf."
    "Doing nothing is very hard to do.... you never know when you're finished."
    "Yes, golf can be taught ... it's just that it can't be learned."
    " I am serious.... and don't all me Shirley."

Leslie Nielsen 11-28-2010

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Funny development here as many other occasions..
    I am often puzzeled and amazed at the level of double standards and bigotery..

not too long ago there was a therad were folks were complaining about how expensive and unnecessary a guide in Mexico is and now here folks seem to get really touchy when the word expensive is used in connection to guiding in Florida..

btw expensive is not the same as bad value..
    i also never stated it is overprized, but the responses triggered seem that is how it was eanted to be understood..
    so be it..
    I stay with it: guiding in Florida is expensive.. and for me it would be not worth it especially first time in the area where one needs to get accustomed with the flow first anyway.. all that is likely being seen on such first dives one can easily discover for oneself..
    oh by the way.. I also agree that guiding in Mexico is the same.. it is expensive.. but there due to the complexity of the systems and amazing hidden jumps etc etc. suche expensive guide is it worth to me here and there..
    btw.. just to be clear.. i do not think that guiding in Florida is overpriced.. but it is expensive..

so go ahead and fire on the double standards further..
    cheers

Funny development here as many other occasions..
    Here we go again. Everybody is crazy but me.
    I am often puzzeled and amazed at the level of double standards and bigotery..
    You clearly don't know what bigotry means.

The diver does not know the locations, is oblivious of all the specifics and has not been in caves so far?

For me the first overhead dives were in mines too and if you ask me it's a different world.
    So I can sort of relate to the situation.

As a result the diver can not be familiar with the type of environment, certainly not with the flow,the silt and clay in side passages.
    Also the concept of lines in Florida, navigation and such would be new to the individual as well.

I would go further than the suggestion to get a guide and would recommend hiring an instructor for a day (or better even for two to three days).
    The price should be around the same, guiding or teaching, and in my humble opinion it would be money well spent.

For someone familiar to cave diving, the type of caves etc, I would say a guide is optional.

Is there nothing people won't argue about on here? Based on your profile I'd say hire a guide or alternatively find a willing mentor on here. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive, a good mentor works just as well.

Honestly I think it's money well spent especially if you've never dove in Florida before. People spend so much money on training and equipment and then try to nickle and dime everywhere else.

A guide can give you an orientation and should be very familiar with the cave
    A guide will know tie offs, gold line location, can advise on where to run your primary.
    A guide can help brief you on flow and in particular where you should be to help "avoid" it.

For your first trip to Florida I would say try Peacock Springs first. Very accessible, relatively shallow and no flow. Get all your gear and equipment sorted out in Peacock (ideally before entering the cave Spent the next day at Ginnie. You'll get to experience two Florida cave systems. Honestly I love using Peacock for shake down dives in Florida.

Stop by Dive Outpost and talk to Cathy and/or DJ. Dive Outpost is literally 4 minutes away from Peacock Springs. They'll get you sorted out with a tank of tanks. DJ is often available informally as a dive buddy/guide. See if he's available and just give him a good tip.

There is also Cave Country Dive Shop in High Springs, FL which is about 14 minutes away from Ginnie Springs. They can also help arrange tanks and a guide.

Quote Originally Posted by macado View Post
    Is there nothing people won't argue about on here? Based on your profile I'd say hire a guide or alternatively find a willing mentor on here. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive, a good mentor works just as well.

Honestly I think it's money well spent especially if you've never dove in Florida before. People spend so much money on training and equipment and then try to nickle and dime everywhere else.

A guide can give you an orientation and should be very familiar with the cave
    A guide will know tie offs, gold line location, can advise on where to run your primary.
    A guide can help brief you on flow and in particular where you should be to help "avoid" it.

For your first trip to Florida I would say try Peacock Springs first. Very accessible, relatively shallow and no flow. Get all your gear and equipment sorted out in Peacock (ideally before entering the cave Spent the next day at Ginnie. You'll get to experience two Florida cave systems. Honestly I love using Peacock for shake down dives in Florida.

Stop by Dive Outpost and talk to Cathy and/or DJ. Dive Outpost is literally 4 minutes away from Peacock Springs. They'll get you sorted out with a tank of tanks. DJ is often available informally as a dive buddy/guide. See if he's available and just give him a good tip.

There is also Cave Country Dive Shop in High Springs, FL which is about 14 minutes away from Ginnie Springs. They can also help arrange tanks and a guide.
    Thanks for the input, I will consider this when planning the trip

Quote Originally Posted by macado View Post
    Is there nothing people won't argue about on here? Based on your profile I'd say hire a guide or alternatively find a willing mentor on here. The two don't have to be mutually exclusive, a good mentor works just as well...
    A well thought out and nicely stated response. Most would agree, more Replys and Postings like this would make this a more productive and enjoyable environment

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...