Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default First trip to Florida, please advise

Hi all

I will travel to Florida for a vacation trip and during during march 20-21 I will be situated in Crystal River for some snorkeling with the cousins . It would be nice to make a copule of dives in the nearby caves, maybe Ginnie?

I am C1 certified with 15 cave dives in total and are looking for a pleasant experience under beginner conditions. I will bring all needed equipment with me except tanks and lead that needs to be rented.

How do I proceed from here? Is there a divecenter at Ginnie?

there is a rental counter at Ginnie that has some basic gear but I think you would be better off stopping in High Springs and going to one of the top notch dive shops there. You have 2 options: Cave Country and Extreme Exposure. Both will be able to rent you any equipment that you will need and give you advice on the conditions at the caves and which ones would be good for your level. Ginnie is a good choice as it is always good vis and the front of it is very pretty so even if you only make it 2-300 meters in, it will still be a good dive. If you dive Sidemount, you might want to look into Jug Hole at Itchetucknee Springs State Park. You will need a buddy to dive it with you but I am sure you can find someone here. That is another high vis very pretty cave near the shops in High Springs.

C1? Are you GUE? If so contact Extreme Exposure as they are the GUE shop.

Thanks guys, I will contact the mentioned shops as a start.

My certification is GUE fundamentals followed by a Naui cave course, There are no natural caves in Sweden so diving "caves" here is strickly in the old mines, this makes it difficult to get a certificate from organizations that demands natural caves during course.

If you're in Crystal River check out https://www.birdsunderwater.com/ Bill's a great guy and'll take care of you!

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Quote Originally Posted by rcn View Post
    Thanks guys, I will contact the mentioned shops as a start.

My certification is GUE fundamentals followed by a Naui cave course, There are no natural caves in Sweden so diving "caves" here is strickly in the old mines, this makes it difficult to get a certificate from organizations that demands natural caves during course.

Sounds like you'd probably fit in best at EE (though everywhere in CC is fairly easy to fit in with). If you're fundies trained, you will likely find people with a similar mindset at EE. I would call or email ahead and talk to Kyle. If you show up on a weekend, sometimes the only people there are the tank fillers and they don't always have the best insight or experience to answer questions. Kyle can ensure someone's there to show you the ropes and get you set up. He may also suggest some people to dive with, or offer to take you on a guided dive one day. Though at C1 you really don't need a guide, jumping up to diving Ginnie with no flow experience can be challenging. You could also find people here to dive with. But EE will likely push all of the buttons you're looking for.

All of the other shops are great too, just make sure you don't rent from Ginnie.

As someone who’ve dived both swedish mines and caves around the world I would suggest renting a guide/instructor to get a environment orientation. The flow will be entirely new and to me it is worth paying up for the knowledge as well as not having to feel that I impact someone else’s dive. A buddy might work just as well but you never know, if you hire someone good it is a sure thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan Isaksson View Post
    As someone who’ve dived both swedish mines and caves around the world I would suggest renting a guide/instructor to get a environment orientation. The flow will be entirely new and to me it is worth paying up for the knowledge as well as not having to feel that I impact someone else’s dive. A buddy might work just as well but you never know, if you hire someone good it is a sure thing.
    Thanks for the input, I will go for a guided dive.

Quote Originally Posted by rcn View Post
    Thanks for the input, I will go for a guided dive.
    Mer is a GUE instructor and offers guided diving packages
    https://www.wetrocksdiving.com/?page_id=2345

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Cathy w/Dive Outpost in Luraville/Mayo has a complete cave dive resort bordering the Peacock Springs area and offers both cabin rentals & bunks to stay over in. I've known her for years & has a lot of international cave divers.
    Check her web site: http://www.diveoutpost.com/accommodation.html & drop her a line ...tell her i encouraged you to ck it out.
    I wish you a great stay in Florida...Good Diving.

Jack Evans