Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rcn View Post
    Thanks for the input, I will go for a guided dive.
    don't..
    Guiding in the area is really expensive..
    Choose some dates when you want to go and make a post here in CDF to find a buddy..
    There is lots of locals that are happy to show you around under a buddy umbrella and not guiding..

Also if you go to the dive shops you might be able to get a hook up..
    to be fair you should let them know that the flow will be new to you, but I am sure there still will be folks that don't bother to help..

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius View Post
    don't..
    Choose some dates when you want to go and make a post here in CDF to find a buddy..
    There is lots of locals that are happy to show you around under a buddy umbrella and not guiding..

to be fair you should let them know that the flow will be new to you, but I am sure there still will be folks that don't bother to help..
    I completely agree with and support divers finding local peers to dive with when they are traveling to the area. It helps build a supportive and inclusive community of divers who are happy to share these amazing places with others.

On the other hand, the value of a qualified and passionate local guide cannot be overstated. Not just for FL, but any location around the world. A guide is a professional who has been trained to support less experienced divers and whose sole job during the dives is to help the diver apply the knowledge and skills they already have to a new environment and protocols.

Choose someone who understands your background and experience, is willing to dive at your level, apply the knowledge and skill set you already have, and really take the time to teach you how to be successful in the local cave systems. That way, on subsequent dives or trips, you will be far more independent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You get what you pay for in the end.
    Pay nothing and there is a small chance you'll end up with someone cool, a large one that it'll be someone who is needy for partners for a reason.

The guides through both local shops are solid, safe and have massive experience in these systems.
    Most are also cave instructors who can give great tips and advice.

In my opinion if you're asking someone to take you into a local cave, knowing nothing of your current skills, likely with gear not dove in a while...then of course they should get paid.
    I'm local, I don't dive with others, much less randoms. Many others with experience don't want to dive outside established buddies either.

Quote Originally Posted by rcn View Post
    My certification is GUE fundamentals followed by a Naui cave course, There are no natural caves in Sweden so diving "caves" here is strickly in the old mines, this makes it difficult to get a certificate from organizations that demands natural caves during course.
    Do you have 15 cave dives or mine dives? I know some people in europe count mines as caves.

Since random buddies can be great but can also be not so great at all, you'd probably be better off getting a guide, especially if you never dove an actual cave or have experience diving in strong flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius View Post
    don't..

Really expensive? Can you please help to clarify?
    What?s a fair and reasonable rate for a full day of someone?s time? For someone who knows the area, knows the caves, knows how, where, and why, and can assist, help and mentor? For someone who will arrive prepped, prepared and with thousands of dollars in gear ready to ensure that you are able to maximize your Florida cave diving experience?

Additionally, can you please compare the costs of a guided cave dive to an open ocean technical wreck dive which requires boat fees, tips and typically involves being sandwiched on a boat with many others.

I?m genially curious as to how you define ?expensive? in a sport requiring thousands of dollars in training and equipment, and extensive knowledge and experience to ensure your safety, enjoyment and success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Draker View Post
    Really expensive? Can you please help to clarify?
    What?s a fair and reasonable rate for a full day of someone?s time? For someone who knows the area, knows the caves, knows how, where, and why, and can assist, help and mentor? For someone who will arrive prepped, prepared and with thousands of dollars in gear ready to ensure that you are able to maximize your Florida cave diving experience?

Additionally, can you please compare the costs of a guided cave dive to an open ocean technical wreck dive which requires boat fees, tips and typically involves being sandwiched on a boat with many others.

I?m genially curious as to how you define ?expensive? in a sport requiring thousands of dollars in training and equipment, and extensive knowledge and experience to ensure your safety, enjoyment and success.

$50 seems about reasonable, no? lol

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    $50 seems about reasonable, no? lol
    Sign me up!!!

And don?t worry, with that bargain basement price, I won?t necessarily expect my guide to exit with me.

From what I have seen a guide in Florida and Mexico are comparably priced. I am certainly not a fan of the US training model as I think most of the issues in cave diving are related to money but a good guide can definitely be well worth the money.

I have a primary dive buddy whom I trust. Unfortunately he is not always available when I have an opportunity to dive, this means that I often find myself without a known buddy. Generally I have had good experiences with those "random" buddies. There have been one or two that have been less than stellar, but far more have been good, safe, divers.

When diving with a new buddy I always take things slow. Caves that I am familiar with, penetrations that are conservative, navigation that is generally restricted to mainline only. A good "new" buddy should hopefully want to be just as conservative since they don't know me, or how I will perform in the water.

If you are new to Florida cave diving you will need, at a minimum, someone to show you where the dive sites are. Someone to show you where to enter the water. Someone to show you where the cave entrance is. Someone to show you where the mainline is. For your very first time in caves like Ginnie, or even Peacock, a professional guide will help a lot for your first dives in these conditions.

Since your visit will be brief I would think that you should hire a professional guide prior to your trip. If you were staying for a week or more and were able to do many dives then you should probably hire a guide for only a day or two, after that you should line up buddies here on CDF.

Whatever you decide, have fun, and stay safe!

At 50 dives, I thought I had this diving thing figured out. At 100 dives, I realized how wrong I was at 50.

Cancer survivor since 2011.

It amazes me here sometimes how cheap we can be, often discussions pop up on how one is willing to sacrifice safety justifying how "expensive" a given replacement can be, that in the end actually only costs less than a a few bucks, or a $10 item on a LDS but still people go to all sorts of trouble to get it online and save a few pennies.
    I wasn't smart and didn't go to school so I could get a good job, instead I graduated at Ape's Turning Knob Institute and now have a career as a Tank Monkey Chief Operating Officer at a Dive Shop Firm, believe me, this is coming from a guy who doesn't have a lot of cash to throw around, I'm all for a bargain, from necessity, but my safety, time and convenience also has a value.

Besides the benefits already mentioned above from hiring a local guide, one would also be WORKING for YOUR enjoyment, I took my DPV class with Ted McCoy about a year ago, on 1st day during some chatting at lunch I mentioned "sneaking" behind some divers one day while I was solo so I could watch the cave through their lights, and not have my own produce backscatter right in front of my eyes, I always think the cave is prettier from the buddy's light in front of me, but I would be a terrible buddy if I hid my light behind me from my buddy in front, anyway, fast forward to 3rd day at Manatee on our last graduation dive, Ted is leading and next thing I know he has his light wide open like a video light, I'm behind grinning like, thanks dooode!!! Awesome, I didn't ask for it, it was a quick chat 2 days prior, Manatee doesn't have the kind of viz for flood light beams, dive probably sucked for him, yet, all his intention was focused on me, so I would have a blast.

My friend hired Bobby, from UWLD once, as a guide when we were noobs, he was coming from 2 hours away, by the time he arrived at Peacock and we did long chat acesssing our levels it was too late to dive, or as he put it, he was hired for the day, not just a dive, he ended up suggesting staying overnight, away from his family, so he could dive with us all day the next day, all for the same price of a days guide.

Just 2 simple examples, the costumer service from the guys in cc is second to none, real top notch!

Don't get me wrong, hiring a guide isn't the only way for outsiders to dive there, I personally have never hired one, see the paragraph again about how I became a millionaire, I simple can't afford it, and have met great random buddies right from here at CDF, but if I could, I would, hell yeah!

And btw, Kieren above is great people too, him and his wife (or is it her and her husband, not sure which Kieren that is ��) are top notch instructors and very friendly people!

And if you're into long dives, then Draker can help, I don't think he has ever done anything shorter than 6 hours, maybe in OC ��

Man, that was a long post, I gotta drink more and post less, I don't wanna develop any bad habits!