Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Steramine

Default Steramine

Is Steramine suitable for cleaning/sanitizing P-valves and plumbing? I use it for the rebreather. Wasn't sure on the other application.

I use it for that too, never had an issue. I use water each day, and steramine at the end of the trip when the CCR is getting cleaned.

I use steramine to disinfect my pee-valve.

It's fine. My p-valve has an inline QD so I can remove myself from the suit without fighting the tube. I took an irrigation syringe and put an extra male-side QD on a small piece of tubing shoved onto the front, so after a dive I fill it with water and flush the works. Back at home when I'm sterilizing my breather, I flush some steramine through it. Suck it out of the bottle of pre-mixed solution, squirt it through the p-valve, and carry on with sterilizing my loop.

I never clean my Halcyon Pvalve, just "cup" my hand around the fitting after disconnecting it and blow it out.
    I was taught this method during a GUE class about 6 years ago and so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavão View Post
    I never clean my Halcyon Pvalve, just "cup" my hand around the fitting after disconnecting it and blow it out.
    I was taught this method during a GUE class about 6 years ago and so far so good.
    I do the same. Urine is sterile anyway and I have not noticed a buildup of smell at all over 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CHartmann View Post
    I do the same. Urine is sterile anyway and I have not noticed a buildup of smell at all over 2 years.
    It's sterile coming out of your body. As soon as it touches your skin, it's contaminated with your normal bacteria. Remember with a catheter on there's always some urine that stays in the catheter and touches your skin. Even if it's a drop it can then make it into the tubing and slowly build up. On top of that urine is also a medium that some bacteria like to grow in. So if there is contamination in your tubing, the urine becomes a medium for growth. Lucky for us there has to be some backflow in our direction to then cause an infection, and since usually we're peeing, the likelihood is we're not getting backflow up the catheter. It can happen though. That backflow has the potential to give you a nice infection.

The risk is low, but it's there. I'm sure you don't want to have to explain to your wife how you got such an odd infection.

So urine being sterile is irrelevant.

On edit-that bacteria in your mouth is now being pushed into your catheter tubing when you use the "blow" technique.

I like the syringe idea.

Administrator Forum Admin

I can attest to the danger of not properly cleaning the hose. I didn't know any better a few years ago, and got a heck of a UTI.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    I can attest to the danger of not properly cleaning the hose. I didn't know any better a few years ago, and got a heck of a UTI.
    What was (or wasn't) your procedure for cleaning the line?