Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Line committees?

Is there anyone taking care of the lines in little river? There are several jumps both marked and un marked that the line is less than trustworthy, most of which is very old #24 that has already had several repairs and seems to be quite old

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by jdobbertien View Post
    Is there anyone taking care of the lines in little river? There are several jumps both marked and un marked that the line is less than trustworthy, most of which is very old #24 that has already had several repairs and seems to be quite old
    If the line is damaged, it isn't from age. Most likely people getting tangled, and cutting it. There are no line committees anymore. Any properly trained cave diver should be able to make line repairs.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

The lines are continuous but they seem quite fragile most of them look pretty old, do they not deteriorate over many years?

In salt water I have seen them deteriorate in 4 or 5 years. In fresh water the last decades.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    If the line is damaged, it isn't from age. Most likely people getting tangled, and cutting it. There are no line committees anymore. Any properly trained cave diver should be able to make line repairs.
    the president of the CDS told me yesterday in no uncertain terms that the CDS handles line maintenance and replacement, now the secretary is saying no?

Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    the president of the CDS told me yesterday in no uncertain terms that the CDS handles line maintenance and replacement, now the secretary is saying no?
    They only care about the killer T's 3000' back at almost 300' of depth. All the other gold line T's in North Florida don't exist and if you claim they do you are an a$$ and spreading fake news propagated by the Russians or as seems to be the case on the CDF it might be the Germans.

As Forrest says, if people get hung up on the line and use force it will break. I've seen several instances where people simply did not fix it and exited the cave. Usually that's not a reason to replace the line, just patch it.
    Also I've gotten hung up and broken line myself and that was even fairly new line that probably had some wear at a wrap or placement.
    The lines in low flow fresh water caves will usually last a long time. Just because it looks old doesn't mean it is prone to breakage.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jdobbertien View Post
    Line committees often were created at certain places because some kids couldn't play in that same sand box together without getting into a fight. For the most part they are gone, and fortunately so are the petty battles that caused them. If I might suggest, announce an intention publically of doing a line replacement, especially a date and time. #1 you may get some help and line volunteered #2 if someone is doing an active survey, that makes sure you don't disturb what they are doing. Another suggestion, if you replace the line where it was originally placed, then you'll get less social media signal to noise ratio.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Another suggestion, if you replace the line where it was originally placed, then you'll get less social media signal to noise ratio.
    And make sure to use knotted line please

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone1004 View Post
    Please re-read my post. It was the NSS-CDS that replaced the goldline in Little River, but there are no line committees for any state owned caves. Little River is owned by the state of FL, but management of it is done by the county.

PS, I suspected that was you that did all that complaining about the NSS-CDS

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers