Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Madison Blue closed to diving

The park announced that due to rising river levels and intrusion that the park have been closed to cave diving. Will provide information when we know more

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Is this likely to impact the stair project this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

Quote Originally Posted by diveconjeff View Post
    Is this likely to impact the stair project this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    At this point no. By history it doesn't take Madison much to blow out from a rising river. But, we will keep an eye on the gages.

i wonder if its still clear at martz. it has not reversed based on gages. discharge is 30cfs (VERY LOW), water temp hasnt changed.

i suspect the intrusion is from the godzilla, and aqueduct first offshoot (passage by rabbit hole, fork left)

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    i wonder if its still clear at martz. it has not reversed based on gages. discharge is 30cfs (VERY LOW), water temp hasnt changed.

i suspect the intrusion is from the godzilla, and aqueduct first offshoot (passage by rabbit hole, fork left)
    The decision to close was made by visual inspection by the park staff. Your observation is correct in that it receives significant tannic water from conduits in the cave, before it suffers a full reversal. I have been in that cave many times just before closure, and you notice the greatest intrusion from the Crossunder tunnel, and the Godzilla area. The strangest thing I ever saw, which was before the park bought the system,the main basin was black, but Martz looked good. I entered in at Martz, and did my dive upstream, and when I came back I decided to do downstream. I went a couple hundred feet and encountered a wall of tannic water, just suspended in place. I swam a few feet into it, and completely disappeared into cold,tannic water with zero viz. When I turned around I couldn't see my buddy who hadn't entered this, and I hadn't traversed any distance. I documented that event in my log book as entering Mordor.

Is madison still closed to diving? the NOAA website shows the river down. at what level does it intrude into the cave?

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver13 View Post
    Is madison still closed to diving? the NOAA website shows the river down. at what level does it intrude into the cave?
    The axiom to Madison, is first to blow, last to flow. Madison is still closed, but hopefully it will clear soon

kelly do you know at what elevation does it intrude into the cave? I ask so i can monitor from looking at NOAA website? Or maybe it is written somewhere and i don't know where?

Quote Originally Posted by cavediver13 View Post
    kelly do you know at what elevation does it intrude into the cave? I ask so i can monitor from looking at NOAA website? Or maybe it is written somewhere and i don't know where?

There's the stats ive been tracking. This time, Madison flooded w/ much lower water level than usual despite the slow-ish rise. The spring is not well charged

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post

There's the stats ive been tracking. This time, Madison flooded w/ much lower water level than usual despite the slow-ish rise. The spring is not well charged
    Good comment. Plus Madison can reverse from inside the cave before the run becomes overwhelmed with tannic water