Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: non DOT hydro

My argument has been that hydros are required for commercial carriers engaged in interstate commerce, of which I am neither, and visual inspections are an industry recommended practice, not a legal requirement. I do keep my cylinders in current hydro, but the visuals are catch as catch can. I'm not willing to dump $200 worth of helium for a sticker. Shops can choose to fill or choose to not fill, but I'll get on my soapbox and pontificate, if only for the purpose of maintaining my image of a pompous ass.

"does your wife know you dive like that?" - quote from Jeff Hancock on seeing me gearing up to dive back mount.

Quote Originally Posted by mfascuba View Post
    I'm not willing to dump $200 worth of helium for a sticker.
    A little exaggerating, aren't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Pavão View Post
    A little exaggerating, aren't we?
    Exaggeration is what helps me maintain my image of a pompous ass.... I've not filled a set of 120's with 10/50 in awhile, but to dump and refill would be in the ballpark of $150.

"does your wife know you dive like that?" - quote from Jeff Hancock on seeing me gearing up to dive back mount.

I was referring to the fact you wouldn't be dumping a full tank to get a VIP. Why get a VIP on a tank that does not need to be filled?
    In this case we disregard all gas management rules and just breath that tank down all the way, not wasting any gas, then get it VIPed and refilled ��

Ozark Forum Moderator

I have a steel cylinder made in Japan that I haven't been able to get a hydro test on because the neck size is much smaller than standard American tanks and metric threads, but it does have a DOT number on it. It has an angled Genesis valve made in France with a DIN outlet. Anyone seen one of these before?

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

Quote Originally Posted by diverdarren View Post
    Anyone seen one of these before?
    Made by Asahi?

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

Ozark Forum Moderator

Yes, I believe I found that word on it with a circle around it. What else can you tell me about it, Russell?

Question. A Hydro facility can hydro it but can't stamp their facility number, just month and year. As a non-DOT cylinder it can't be filled and offered for transport. If your cylinder you can fill it yourself. If you fill it yourself, why hydro it?

An independent diver.

Ozark Forum Moderator

Hi Dale, I have that answer. So you can get it re-filled for subsequent dives when you take it to Florida. Same reason you put fresh VIP stickers on it before you leave home! See I haven't forgotten a thing that you taught me.

Last edited by diverdarren; 02-09-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bletso View Post
    Question. A Hydro facility can hydro it but can't stamp their facility number, just month and year. As a non-DOT cylinder it can't be filled and offered for transport. If your cylinder you can fill it yourself. If you fill it yourself, why hydro it?
    DOT covers the US. Many tanks also have the TC mark to cover canada. So, I'm intending to fill these tanks onboard a private yacht outside of US and TC territory. Hundreds of miles offshore in the 3rd world country. A tank event would be most unwelcome.