Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Nice softer/diffused light too!

Quote Originally Posted by diveconjeff View Post
    I have been looking for some alternative solutions to this as well. Ping pong balls cut in half fit on my lights quite well but eat a lot of light. So I am continuing to keep my eye out for other potential materials to make a simple hack with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For me getting the difusser of a cheap leed lamp is quite a good solution, you hace different diameters and the lose of luminance is very low.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JuanEsLucas View Post
    For me getting the difusser of a cheap leed lamp is quite a good solution, you hace different diameters and the lose of luminance is very low.

I've had two of my super-cheap LED bulbs start to go bad in my house. I might just have to disassemble them and try this for myself!

Quote Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
    I've had two of my super-cheap LED bulbs start to go bad in my house. I might just have to disassemble them and try this for myself!
    Hola Victor,
    Did you manage to set your difusser?
    Here it is another setting with a wheel chamber i ve made for a biger diameter lamp.
    It is cleaner than the one with the bungee but you cant take off easily and it is a bit difficult to make water go inside the diffuser

Quote Originally Posted by JuanEsLucas View Post
    Hola Victor,
    Did you manage to set your difusser?
    Here it is another setting with a wheel chamber i ve made for a biger diameter lamp.
    It is cleaner than the one with the bungee but you cant take off easily and it is a bit difficult to make water go inside the diffuser

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

As for water getting in: Maybe drilling a couple holes in the diffuser under the electrical tape would help, and the electrical tape could help prevent too much light from leaking.

I have been using UWLD 10K lumen LED video lights for a couple years now with great success. In fact, I just bought two more for other divers ahead of me to hold. What I found right away was that the lights did not have the coverage for a GoPro in super wide angle shooting. While Light Dude says they have 120 degrees coverage each, I believe underwater that is much less. What I was getting was vignetting at the edges of frame. I loved the problem simply, using a diffusion material called: "Tough Spun" a theatrical diffusion material manufactured for years and was primarily used for diffusion of Brute Arc lamps on film sets. It basically looks like fiberglass sheets (or even bounce fabric softener sheets) I cut a small piece, double it over and wrap a heavy rubber band around the end of the lamp, and it does wonders. Cheap, and easily replaceable. I actually use a 1/2" section of bicycle inner tube as the rubber band, a lot more robust and tighter than a rubber band. By the way, I use the 10K lumen fixtures with the "short" battery pack (106 WH) and those are fine for video shoot durations, the "tall" battery packs (160 WH) are just too long and heavy in my experience to deal with on a camera housing. I already have to offset the weight with float arms as it is. Best of luck, and keep shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by diveconjeff View Post
    I have been looking for some alternative solutions to this as well. Ping pong balls cut in half fit on my lights quite well but eat a lot of light. So I am continuing to keep my eye out for other potential materials to make a simple hack with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Try Wax Paper

Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by shellmoundal View Post
    Try Wax Paper
    A friend told me there is nice diffuse material in flat screen televisions.

"With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

"Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire

Administrator Forum Admin

Quote Originally Posted by wingman View Post
    A friend told me there is nice diffuse material in flat screen televisions.
    Well, I will just cut a piece out of my $800 flat screen TV

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Well, I will just cut a piece out of my $800 flat screen TV
    I would not recommend that, not very cost effective. You might try to find one at the dump....or cruise around gainesville at the end of a semester and do some dumpster diving.

"With regard to cave diving, the great thing is to be carried where you could not have imagined you would ever be, and then to come back alive."

"Wilderness. The word itself is music." Abbey, Desert Solitaire