Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

So you don't actually see the color change in the cave but it shows up on the video?

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    So you don't actually see the color change in the cave but it shows up on the video?
    In the cave it's just brighter in the middle—no unexpected colors.

I know several people who use Big Blue lights and they don't have that issue. I am guessing it is a setting on your camera. Maybe change the angle of the lights where they don't overlap as much.

Quote Originally Posted by diver42 View Post
    Here are some frame captures that show the unexpected color changes in the center of the frame.
    Camera CCD does not see light the same way a human eye does. I have little experience with U/W photography, BUT 30+ years with CBS as an engineer. This type of green response is typically seen with different color temperature light sources overlapping. Most commonly sunlight and florescent light. Are BOTH your lights the same make/model with the same emitters?

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

Quote Originally Posted by gschaut View Post
    Camera CCD does not see light the same way a human eye does. I have little experience with U/W photography, BUT 30+ years with CBS as an engineer. This type of green response is typically seen with different color temperature light sources overlapping. Most commonly sunlight and florescent light. Are BOTH your lights the same make/model with the same emitters?
    I have two pairs of lights. In each pair, both lights are identical. The problem happens with both pairs.

Is it not seen with two lights of the same color temperature overlapping?

I use brinyte div01 lights from China. They are sold in Europe by different brands too ( rebranded, Divenology, ledduiklampen.nl). The lights are strong, took them several times over 420ft. None flooded or stopped working (only my 180 ft rated camera stopped filming at 350 ft and started again around 330ft).

When I look at your pictures from the camera, do you use different lights? Not all leds have exactly the same emitting color. Maybe that causes your problem? I have 3 from Brinyte and don't have your problem, but mostly I do not put the lights to tight to each other. I try to use for every part only one beam.
    I have now bought another light too, but on my cheap goproclone I don't have such strange colors (I use the Activeon CX Gold).

A test to try would be to use a single light, but in the same position, so that it is only illuminating half the frame. It may be that you have some prismatic effect at the edge of the light beam, and that doubling up that area makes it very obvious. Increasing the overlap might fix the issue.
    Option 2 is that it's to do with the gain structure on the GoPro. Cave video is always going to have the camera gain cranked right up, so this might be an artifact from that.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by diver42 View Post
    I have two pairs of lights. In each pair, both lights are identical. The problem happens with both pairs.

Is it not seen with two lights of the same color temperature overlapping?
    No, the color aberrations are caused by two different colors (frequency) of light heterodyning against each other.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterodyne

Take only photos, leave only bubbles, kill only time.

Usually the border of the video light is warmer than the center area, so if you set the lamps in angle in the way you are doing the center of the image would result more yellow than the border.

Enviado desde mi SM-G930F mediante Tapatalk