Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Silt stakes

  1. #1

    Default Silt stakes

    When you make silt stakes, do you cut a notch or do someting else at the top to help keep the line in place? Or is it just the smooth pipe where the line can slide a bit up and down?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,548

    Default

    I cut a notch. I cut the top perpendicular and then 45 the bottom cut so the line won't pop out as easy as a v type cut.


  3. #3

    Default

    How deep do you make the notch? Halfway through or less? Only downside I can see with a notch is more wear on the line, and more work of course, but you avoid the line slipping off the stake.


  4. #4

    Default

    notch at the top. halfway or less. doesnt really matter


  5. #5

    Default siltscrew line attachment

    I prefer simple lanyard loop or S-link through the hole in PVC pipe. S-link is a quick-link paracord equivalent of carabiner so it allows to fix it on or off, sliding through or fixed point. The difference of one with S-link from any basic lanyard is that it uses chinese button (or celtic?) knot to tie ends which acts like a ball similar to those used on walmart tie-downs bungees. Damn it is easier to demonstrate than to explain...

    With lanyard you just run the line through it and then run your reel through the loop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	siltstake.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	17815  


  6. #6

    Default

    Thanks guys


  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ARY View Post
    I prefer simple lanyard loop or S-link through the hole in PVC pipe. S-link is a quick-link paracord equivalent of carabiner so it allows to fix it on or off, sliding through or fixed point. The difference of one with S-link from any basic lanyard is that it uses chinese button (or celtic?) knot to tie ends which acts like a ball similar to those used on walmart tie-downs bungees. Damn it is easier to demonstrate than to explain...

    With lanyard you just run the line through it and then run your reel through the loop.
    the only issue i see with that is that it's maybe a little too cute for deep stuff. it's super fast to deploy one with just a slot in it to catch the line and move on with the exploration


  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LiteHedded View Post
    the only issue i see with that is that it's maybe a little too cute for deep stuff. it's super fast to deploy one with just a slot in it to catch the line and move on with the exploration
    Probably true, I would not know as I don`t dive deep. On one of my shallow dives however I used slotted ends siltscrew. When I continued to swim into ridiculously wide bedding plane I changed the angle and it somehow unwound from the anchor. Meanwhile I went into small stuff and line went following under the wall on one side. I swear my butt could cut through a steel rebar from emotions when on the way back enjoying blackout my hand met just a mud under solid wall.


  9. #9

    Default

    I like to use big yellow tent stakes. With the notch it's easy to wrap your line around the stake a few times then shove it down into the mud. The hole in the stake lets you tie a tiny loop of line through it so you can attach it to a carabiner for the swim in.

    https://www.rei.com/product/798884/c...abs-tent-peg-9


  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Napalm View Post
    I like to use big yellow tent stakes. With the notch it's easy to wrap your line around the stake a few times then shove it down into the mud. The hole in the stake lets you tie a tiny loop of line through it so you can attach it to a carabiner for the swim in.

    https://www.rei.com/product/798884/c...abs-tent-peg-9
    the only issue i see with this is they're too short. in a lot of places the silt would just swallow that up and it wouldnt do you much good



 

Similar Threads

  1. Damaging silt
    By LCF in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 12:02 PM
  2. Silt Screws
    By fixxervi6 in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-13-2007, 02:55 AM
  3. Total Silt Out
    By IRAP Administrator in forum Incident Reporting and Analysis Project (IRAP)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2007, 09:56 PM
  4. Silt Monsters?
    By skip in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 08:48 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts