Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default NFSA Madison Blue step project volunteer request

The deck and stairs that provide access to the headspring at Madison Blue Springs State Park is in need of replacement. The North Florida Springs Alliance has volunteered to provide the materials and volunteer labor for the project. The NFSA maintenance team needs volunteers to assist with the demolition of the old deck and construction of the new deck and stairs. No construction skills are required, just your desire to help. Any amount of time you can volunteer will make a difference. Lunches and water for volunteers will be provided by the NFSA.

The project work will start the weekend of February 3-4, 2018 and is expected to continue every weekend for the rest of February.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...on-Blue-Spring

If you have any questions about volunteering for the project you can contact RB Havens through Facebook, or the NFSA website.

The NFSA is accepting donations to help pay for the materials for this project on our website with a chance to win a light donated by Dive Rite or custom evolve doubles system by Halcyon:

http://www.northfloridaspringsalliance.org/donate.html

Thank you

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

if im in town, ill make sure to come support!

Thanks to NFSA for driving this. This is a great project for the cave diving community to participate in. I will try to come down one weekend to help.

For dive planning when we're not working on the project: is the plan to do one side of deck and one set of steps at a time, so there's still limited diver/swimmer access to the headspring as we work? Or to demo the entire project area at one and rebuild?

Quote Originally Posted by Troglodyver View Post
    Thanks to NFSA for driving this. This is a great project for the cave diving community to participate in. I will try to come down one weekend to help.

For dive planning when we're not working on the project: is the plan to do one side of deck and one set of steps at a time, so there's still limited diver/swimmer access to the headspring as we work? Or to demo the entire project area at one and rebuild?
    The entire deck and steps are demo'd at one time. Access for cave divers will be Martz, or across from the present steps at the head spring

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    The entire deck and steps are demo'd at one time. Access for cave divers will be Martz, or across from the present steps at the head spring
    I'm not as familiar with Madison. Is it still possible to exit the main entrance and get to the parking lot wearing doubles without the stairs? What is the route?

Quote Originally Posted by CptTightPants21 View Post
    I'm not as familiar with Madison. Is it still possible to exit the main entrance and get to the parking lot wearing doubles without the stairs? What is the route?
    You should be able to walk from the parking lot, down the main stairs to the walkway. You will not be able to turn left and get to the deck and stairs, but turn right and walk around the spring on the east side and access the head spring from the river side. Or, kit up at the picnic pavilion on the east side of the head spring and walk down the stairs to the walkway. You can also use the Martz Sink stairs to access the cave system.

If anyone has any questions or is interested in volunteering for the Madison Blue Spring stairs replacement can contact me here, the NFSA website or Facebook. We will be sending out regular emails and notices about the project schedule, meeting times etc.

RB Havens, NFSA Director at Large

I'll be there!!!

Dominick Gheesling

Hike your own hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverhippi View Post
    I'll be there!!!
    Thank you!!!

Good onya Kelly for keeping up the work all these years. Bit far for me, but would if I could.