Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Switching from canister to hand held

Currently I dive SM and have a LM canister mounted across my lower back. I am considering a switch to a hand held light.

For those that have already done so from a SM configuration, how much of a trim impact have you noticed?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

I dive SM and use a handheld. For a long time I used an impact stubby from DRIS and am currently using the Diverite LX20.

I like it. I don't really think it affects trim per se, its a little heavier than a corded light on the wrist, but you don't have to deal with a cord. Like most sidemount stuff it's a tradeoff.

My instructor swears by a corded light and he likes them much better than cordless.

Find someone to rent or loan you one that you are thinking about and get it wet and see how it feels.

No different. Only thing that annoys me is I have to remove the handheld to do anything with my right tank. With steels it?s not such an issue. With aluminum?s I find it a pia .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

I am pretty convinced hand held is not the proper tool for longer dives, but I don't go over 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Too much deco without heat.

After reading you comment, I think the current position of my canister is probably centered on the bladder at the point of highest lift. So it could make sense the impact would be minimal. I had not considered that before.

Thanks for the input.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.

Any reason you don't mount it on your crotch strap? Right about where the leg meets the meat. Check out the xDeep canister light mount. It works surprisingly well. I had my reservations, but I ended up liking it pretty well actually.

I have a Big Blue 4500 handheld that I use on shorter dives. I also have a LM 20ah canister with an led I use sometimes. I really don't notice any difference in trim between the two lights. I am sure there is some but I am guessing I compensate for it and don't realize it. It can't be as bad as the shift with multiple stages as you experience during a dive and most people don't have an issue with that.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Any reason you don't mount it on your crotch strap? Right about where the leg meets the meat. Check out the xDeep canister light mount. It works surprisingly well. I had my reservations, but I ended up liking it pretty well actually.
    Has not caused me an issue in its current location. Maybe I don't get into spaces so tight where that will be an issue. OR maybe I am quite barrel chested and figure if my chest gets through, everything else can follow...

-Ferris Bueller

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I have a Big Blue 4500 handheld that I use on shorter dives. I also have a LM 20ah canister with an led I use sometimes. I really don't notice any difference in trim between the two lights. I am sure there is some but I am guessing I compensate for it and don't realize it. It can't be as bad as the shift with multiple stages as you experience during a dive and most people don't have an issue with that.
    Thanks, exactly the feedback I was looking for.

-Ferris Bueller

Quote Originally Posted by diveconjeff View Post
    Has not caused me an issue in its current location. Maybe I don't get into spaces so tight where that will be an issue. OR maybe I am quite barrel chested and figure if my chest gets through, everything else can follow...
    Ah, gotcha. I guess I misunderstood what the issue was. I thought it’s current position was the problem. That being the case, what’s the drive to go handheld if your current setup isn’t causing any problems. Just a matter of convenience?

I’ve got one of the LM 12w handhelds on a hard Goodman and don’t feel like my trim is any different whether it’s the handheld or my UWLD. I would recommend making a little bungee bracelet to go around your wrists that you can clip the bolt snap to so that if you drop it for whatever reason it’s retained.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 01-18-2018 at 01:21 PM. Reason: iPhones are annoying.....

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Ah, gotcha. I guess I misunderstood what the issue was. I thought it’s current position was the problem. That being the case, what’s the drive to go handheld if your current setup isn’t causing any problems. Just a matter of convenience?

I’ve got one of the LM 12w handhelds on a hard Goodman and don’t feel like my trim is any different whether it’s the handheld or my UWLD. I would recommend making a little bungee bracelet to go around your wrists that you can clip the bolt snap to so that if you drop it for whatever reason it’s retained.
    Nothing more than convenience and curiosity.

FWIW I use a LM 12W light with a direct connect battery from the 9W handheld for a primary back up on a soft mount so it can sit comfortably in my pocket. Nice enough for a backup, but not enough for a primary scooter light.

-Ferris Bueller