Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ginnie Cave DPV

Default Ginnie Cave DPV

Any feedback on getting by with Full cave Cert in mid 90's and Abe Davis. Is this really something that is being enforced (cave DPV)? Hate to drive the extra 4 hours and not be able to make the dives I've been making there for the past 20 years. Any feedback from recent experience is appreciated. Thanx.

In the past "don't ask, don't tell, just providing a cave card worked pretty well.

This past weekend I noticed Beth walking around the parking lot by Little Devils and she appeared to be watching which cars divers with scooters came from. Then I would see her walk around by the cars apparently reviewing the parking slips for DPV endorsements... Yes, I did say "she appeared" to be doing this. But when was the last time management was walking around there?

In the past I would get in with history and an Abe Davis endorsement. When I renewed my annual this time, they were quite clear in requiring a DPV card.

YMMV

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    -Ferris Bueller

The most certain way to stumble into the future, is to live your life looking over your shoulder.
    -Jeff Hawes after getting a huge mulligan...

They are definitely keeping track of stuff. I assume the Abe Davis = OK to scooter rule has been thrown out (It made absolutely no sense anyway). In the past few months since Rose is gone, there is generally somebody wandering around checking things out. Not every time and not consistently, but way more than in the past.

You could play stupid and say you didn't know and take your chances, but there's a decent enough chance you'll get questioned.

On my way home after a short dive trip. Hit JB, Little River and Peacock. Didn’t even bother with Ginnie now that they require CCR Cave.

Quote Originally Posted by cavekrazi View Post
    Any feedback on getting by with Full cave Cert in mid 90's and Abe Davis. Is this really something that is being enforced (cave DPV)? Hate to drive the extra 4 hours and not be able to make the dives I've been making there for the past 20 years. Any feedback from recent experience is appreciated. Thanx.
    For those of us that got grandfathered in in the mid-90s we can quote the ruling and date. The trouble maybe convincing the person behind the cash register or their new manager of this rule, because at least Rose knew about it due to her longevity. The people at Ginnie do check to make sure your pass and what they see you carrying to the water match. Does Ginnie management read our posting on the forum-yes; so perhaps seeing posts like this and making their staff aware will enhance the check in process.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Cave DPV course isn't really that expensive.
    Instructors currently in cave country that teach it are solid.
    Guarantee that you'd learn a bit diving with someone like Dan Patterson or other dpv cave instructors around here.

Sounds like a fun trip resulting in a cert that avoids future issues.

I recently ran a CCR Cave Upgrade (crossover from OC to CCR) for a friend that is a fairly accomplished OC diver (~800ish cave dives, many of them exploration, used to hold the end of the line in Madison, Manatee, and Ginnie all at the same time, plus some very big mapping projects and a lot of deep diving).

Given that we had been planning on diving that weekend for a few months, and he and I had previously done some longer CCR dives (scootering to Sheck's Mountain, etc), we were very informal in the class, but I covered all of the material and skills in the CCR Cave course anyway -- I'm a by the book guy.

After the weekend was over, he told me he learned a few tricks during the course that added arrows into his quiver. YMMV, but if a guy like that could learn something during a few days of diving with an instructor...

Ken Sallot

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    After the weekend was over, he told me he learned a few tricks during the course that added arrows into his quiver. YMMV, but if a guy like that could learn something during a few days of diving with an instructor...
    Ken, I have yet to find someone that knows everything and new things to be learned. You taught me many years ago I was capable of carrying double 95s from the parking lot to Jug Hole...

Last edited by Kelly Jessop; 01-18-2018 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Ken, I have yet to find someone that knows everything and new things to be learned. You taught me many years ago I was capable to carrying double 95s from the parking lot to Jug Hole...
    And I think I tried to convince you not to do it.. :P

Ken Sallot

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    And I think I tried to convince you not to do it.. :P
    Probably did... what doesn't kill you makes you better. Still a very great dive for my first time there.