Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Ginnie Cave DPV

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    It's all about the money.
    Yep. All decisions are made by those fat cats at Big Scuba.

I agree with you completely on quality training, though.

That is actually the lens through which I'd hope most people would try to see this. That even people who have been scootering Ginnie with rebreathers since before either of those things were even invented might look for someone who might teach them something instead of looking for someone who would just cut them a card or just bitching about it on the internet.

Any which way it doesn't matter. Ginnie owns the access. Their ball: their rules. Remember the chapter on landowner relations?

What really gets me about the quality of training is the people that are in a position to do something about it are often the worst offenders or totally clueless. Here is a prime example with the CDS.

https://youtu.be/J5sfYT-smMo

And of course agencies like the one you are interning for do nothing about it and gladly accept that everyone wanting to scooter at Ginnie gets another card. It's all about the money.
    Ginnie is not making any money off of asking people to have a dpv certs though.

Quote Originally Posted by bent View Post
    Ginnie is not making any money off of asking people to have a dpv certs though.
    Ginnie knows very little about cave diving. They ask the instructors and agencies what they would recommend and that is why the new rules are being instituted.
    It's just the instructors and agencies that are making money off of it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Ginnie knows very little about cave diving. They ask the instructors and agencies what they would recommend and that is why the new rules are being instituted.
    It's just the instructors and agencies that are making money off of it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    So are you insinuating that the reason Ginnie is changing the rules is that local instructors are making those recommendations to Ginnie ownership in order to put money in their (ie instructors') pockets?

They ask the instructors and agencies what they would recommend
    Yeah. Instructors and agencies are probably the wrong people to ask. So-called-experts are far to self-interested.

I'd suggest putting out a paper poll with the menus on 1/2-price burger night at The Great Outdoors. It's time for the common man to have a voice. Vote for safe cave diving practices and get 1/2 off a desert!

Ginnie knows very little about cave diving. They ask the instructors and agencies what they would recommend and that is why the new rules are being instituted. It's just the instructors and agencies that are making money off of it.
    Even if we assume this to be true (and I doubt it is), so what?

" You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake."
    "She said she was approaching forty, and I couldn't help wondering from what direction"
    "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf "
    "When they asked Jack Benny to do something for the Actor's Orphanage - he shot both his parents and moved in "

Bob Hope 7-27- 2003

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    What really gets me about the quality of training is the people that are in a position to do something about it are often the worst offenders or totally clueless. Here is a prime example with the CDS.

https://youtu.be/J5sfYT-smMo
    Not sure I really understand the comparisons you are making.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Not sure I really understand the comparisons you are making.
    Well let's see you have a CDS BOD member and I believe the CDS property manager filming someone who clearly has no clue what sidemount is in a CDS owned cave that has fragile clay banks. Isn't one of the purposes of the CDS conservation? Is this type of configuration something the CDS endorses? The person who made this video was apparently proud of what was going on in this video and posted it. This isn't the first time that videos showing sloppy configurations that are bound to cause cave damage have been posted by this BOD member. When you go to Mexico the guys there laugh at most Florida instructors and while there are exceptions is anyone going to deny that this isn't true? The CDS likes to claim they are the best and I ask by what metric?

Personally I think the guys profile would have been better in bm and if you don't see anything wrong with this video I guess we have different views on what a proper sidemount configuration should look like.

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    The CDS likes to claim they are the best and I ask by what metric?

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't seen the CDS claim to be the best, matter of fact I haven't seen anybody playing king of the mountain. What I do like from the CDS and former NACD, was that instructor candidates had to intern with several different instructors, and then they had to pass an institute that had peer review. The advantage here is that a future instructor has had contact with many instructors before they are signed off on, versus some agencies which can be from one instructor -trainer only.

"Not all change is improvement...but all improvement is change" Donald Berwick