Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 186

Thread: Ginnie Cave DPV

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East of the Mill Pond
    Posts
    1,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shellmoundal View Post
    Beth's job is enforcing all the rules of cave diving in Ginnie. She told me late last year that all the rules will be enforced and there will be no grandfather exceptions.
    Cave DPV, Overhead SM, CCR Cave Certification, etc.
    It is a private corporation so they can do whatever they want.
    If you have an annual pass you always had to show your certifications and they would put it on your annual pass.
    As we all know , it is their business.
    In my opinion it is your job as the CDS bod to represent the interest of the community.
    I do not feel this is happening, certainly not if you OK the absolute stupidity of Ginnie requiring a SM card for a cave where 99% of the SM divers never even go into a sidemount passage.
    Never mind CCR cave which in my opinion is on rank #2 of the most useless certs ever.

    What's next, do you need an overhead photography class to bring your gopro? Do we need to do the cave survey class to be allowed to survey a piece of line?
    Those rules are BS and I would expect the NSS-CDS to support the community, not this madness.

    Having said that, I would prefer Ginnie requires first time visitors to do a check-dive to assess their in-water skills and make sure they can even frog kick.

    P.S: Funny that Ginnie has the rules all under perfect control yet cannot even keep people from guiding OW divers in Devil's...


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Panama City Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1513626285131.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	17810

    These are now required too.


  3. #23

    Default

    You can do your full cave in SM configuration. The SM cave card is an 'advanced cave' card.


  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    In my opinion it is your job as the CDS bod to represent the interest of the community.
    I do not feel this is happening, certainly not if you OK the absolute stupidity of Ginnie requiring a SM card for a cave where 99% of the SM divers never even go into a sidemount passage.
    Never mind CCR cave which in my opinion is on rank #2 of the most useless certs ever.

    What's next, do you need an overhead photography class to bring your gopro? Do we need to do the cave survey class to be allowed to survey a piece of line?
    Those rules are BS and I would expect the NSS-CDS to support the community, not this madness.

    Having said that, I would prefer Ginnie requires first time visitors to do a check-dive to assess their in-water skills and make sure they can even frog kick.

    P.S: Funny that Ginnie has the rules all under perfect control yet cannot even keep people from guiding OW divers in Devil's...
    I am only speaking for myself and not in an official capacity as an NSS-CDS board member, and I am sure I am going to have an unpopular position on this.

    Land access to the Devil's Ear/Eye cave system goes through the Ginnie Springs Outdoors park, which is on private property. Ginnie Springs does a huge amount of business with the tubing/swimming/camping crowd and I would not be surprised to find out that they earn more in one summer weekend from tubers/campers than they do in any six month period from cave divers.

    The landowners of Ginnie Springs Outdoors carry liability insurance which has hefty premiums, and they are completely within their right to request/require any certification that they see fit in order to access the system through their property that satisfies their underwriters.

    Personally, I am grateful they still allow cave diving on their property. If you're unhappy with the rules, go someplace else.

    Ken Sallot

  5. #25

    Default

    Let me also add that I do not think you fully appreciate that members of the NSSCDS and GUE have worked hard to maintain a positive relationship with the management of Ginnie Springs Outdoors in order to help keep cave diving an activity that is allowed on their property.

    Ken Sallot

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Chelsea, VT
    Age
    60
    Posts
    3,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Personally, I am grateful they still allow cave diving on their property. If you're unhappy with the rules, go someplace else.

    I agree. Their property, their insurance, their rules.

    It would be good if GSO would publish their rules on their website so that divers would know what the deal is before going there, rather than being told while checking in that changes have been made.

    And it might be beneficial to both GSO and the cave diving community if the NSS-CDS offered to assist GSO management in coming up with a set of rules that make sense. Maybe this is already the case.

    Mike


  7. #27

    Default

    And yet they cannot do a thing if I decide to do a sidemount rebreather, scooter dive with my Gopro, or maybe even a single tank dive up Hill 400 using a chemlight as my only source of illumination ..... as long as I do it from the river and don't step foot on their property.

    So with all that you have said Ken, riddle me this, if the cave diving and cave divers are such a pain in the arse for GSO, their insurance underwriters, and staff, with little to no return for their efforts, why wouldn't they have stopped allowing this cave diving nonsense from their property years ago ??????

    TJ (2)
    When I get out of cavediving, it will be to learn how to use a walker FW

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Bloomington, Minnesota
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I would think drunk masses hanging out the back of a pickup would be more of a liability then the relativity small number of cave divers.
    Also once a dive enters the water are they not leaving GSO property?
    Al


  9. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    2,914

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Al View Post
    I would think drunk masses hanging out the back of a pickup would be more of a liability then the relativity small number of cave divers.
    Also once a dive enters the water are they not leaving GSO property?
    Al
    Wheres's your car located


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Germie View Post
    You can do your full cave in SM configuration. The SM cave card is an 'advanced cave' card.
    What agency does this? Sorry, but that does not sound right.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Ginnie & Little River DPV video
    By madmosche in forum Photos, Pictures, Graphics & Video Clips
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-05-2017, 09:44 PM
  2. DPV bull in mexican cave chinashop
    By Aotus in forum Photos, Pictures, Graphics & Video Clips
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 05:59 PM
  3. DPV Cave Pilot Training Complete
    By Captain Bil in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 05:39 AM
  4. Ginnie Cave Diver Prices at Ginnie for the Social
    By Bill Rotella in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 01:21 PM
  5. Ginnie DPV Rules
    By wingman in forum Main Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-06-2004, 03:08 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts