Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Heated vest inflator bulkhead recommendation

I'm adding a heated vest to my dive junk pile and wanted bulkhead recommendations.

I see 3 options:
    Sitech has their bulkhead which looks alright-Don't see any positives or negatives

Santi's thermovalve bulkhead/inflator combo-looks good but it appears to limit the rotation of the inflator nipple to 90 degrees and I switch the direction my inflator comes in depending if I'm diving SM or BM

Santi's drysuit heating connector, which is just a bulkhead that allows you to screw your existing inflator into. Seems like the best choice. My suit's a DUI and I think DUI uses Sitech valves making it compatible. I just haven't been able to tell if it ends up being significantly bulkier than the thermovalve or if there's any unseen negatives.

Light Monkey has a bulkhead, and DUI has a bulkhead I believe. I think I even saw a 3D Printed one on IG.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Santi's drysuit heating connector, which is just a bulkhead that allows you to screw your existing inflator into. ... I just haven't been able to tell if it ends up being significantly bulkier than the thermovalve or if there's any unseen negatives.
    It adds about an inch of depth to your inflator - super bulky in my opinion. DUI has a similar system which is also bulky.

You could mount a thermovalve with the inflator straight down, which would allow you to rotate it from 4 o'clock to 8 o'clock. Maybe that's enough?

Thanks so far. I didnt know lm had one. And I think duis uses some proprietary plug but I'm not sure.
    I wondered if santis bulkhead added alot of bulk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took a look at LMs. Looks nice and low profile. It doesn't allow the nipple to swivel which isn't ideal when switching from bm to sm. Though its not like that happens that often.

I have been using the Santi for about four years. Low profile and easy to service. I would not consider the models that stack the electric bulkhead and the air connection. Too bulky.

I use mine for my rebreather, side mount, and single tank. Connecting it without the swivel is sometimes a pain.

Were I to do it again I would buy the LM as I am a fan of their stuff.

Not true on the light monkey not allowing swivel. I have that bulkhead, and the inflator moves just like it normally does. It's just elevated. I thought I would be unhappy with the extra bulk from it, but it hasn't been a problem

Quote Originally Posted by TotDoc View Post
    Not true on the light monkey not allowing swivel. I have that bulkhead, and the inflator moves just like it normally does. It's just elevated. I thought I would be unhappy with the extra bulk from it, but it hasn't been a problem
    You have this one and it swivels?

http://www.lightmonkey.us/dual-outlet-heater-valve

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    You have this one and it swivels?

http://www.lightmonkey.us/dual-outlet-heater-valve
    Nope, misunderstood which one you meant. I use the stacked one: http://www.lightmonkey.us/inflator-valve-

I had read somewhere that the flow through the combo inflators was significantly less than through a regular one, so I figured I'd try the stack cap 1st, and if it seemed to bulky or caused me problems, then I would try one of the combo valves. Never had any problem from the added profile of the stack cap, so I stuck with it. Inflator rotates normally on top of the stack.

If the swivel or low profile inflator is important to you, check out the Light Monkey standalone heater bulkhead. I put it on my right side just above my pocket and tuck the cord into my pocket during the dive. http://shop.lightmonkey.us/Drysuit-H...ble_p_204.html

Kyle

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor, catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain