Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    Alot of the people that complain about not allowing solo don't live in Fl and don't pay taxes.
    In a state with zero income tax.. living in and paying taxes does not quite necessarily coincide..
    Folks not living in Florida can still significantly contribute to the states taxes..

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrogenius View Post
    In a state with zero income tax.. living in and paying taxes does not quite necessarily coincide..
    Folks not living in Florida can still significantly contribute to the states taxes..
    I was only directly responding to his comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 reasons:

1) Alot of the people that complain about not allowing solo don't live in Fl and don't pay taxes.

2) I believe (or at least told) that those that regularly act as our intermediaries to the state parks have a long history with park officials and have learned that it's not a point that's worth continual pushing. There are bigger battles, such as allowing us to even dive in the parks. I think the people that act in that capacity have all of our best interest in mind. But if someone wants to take on or add to that role by building long standing relationships with park officials and having open conversations about changing limitations in a concise/realistic manner, I suspect the "intermediaries" would love the help.

Me, I don't care that much. I'd love to scooter and solo wherever I want, but I don't own the caves. So I'm just happy letting those that want to spend their precious time volunteering to act as our spokesperson make what they believe are decisions in our best interest. I'm too lazy and don't have enough time to take part.

(In easy terms, sure people can whine and complain, but instead be more productive by getting off your a** and volunter in taking part in these issues in the correct manner instead.)- that is not directed at you btw, it's a generalization to those that complain.
    Well said, Thank You

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Administrator Forum Admin

I dove Peacock solo a lot, before it became a State Park FWIW, you could park at the water's edge at the time.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

I would like to be able to solo at peacock but another issue is if they did allow solo the park would more than likely be way too crowded. Lately it's been packed to the point it's tough to even get parking.

Yep and you get catheters lying around too, but I'm not here to complain. To previous comment: just jump in at Olson so much cave close by!

"The greatest enemy to knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen Hawking.

DiveSprings.com

Quote Originally Posted by Seanmeboy View Post
    To previous comment: just jump in at Olson so much cave close by!
    We used to be able to do that, but then the parks said, oops my bad...��

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Alot of the people that complain about not allowing solo don't live in Fl and don't pay taxes.
    I doubt that it is only out of state visitors who are bothered by the state park solo rule. Also, I disagree that visitors don't contribute to the funding of the state park. They provide funding directly by paying the entrance fees and indirectly by paying for equipment rentals, fills, lodging, etc (which are taxed directly as sales tax and then indirectly via the income taxes of the business owners). Finally, there are people who live out of state but pay FL property and other taxes too. Saying that visiting divers should not be allowed to participate in discussions concerning state parks is gross discrimination, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by oceancurrent View Post
    I doubt that it is only out of state visitors who are bothered by the state park solo rule. Also, I disagree that visitors don't contribute to the funding of the state park. They provide funding directly by paying the entrance fees and indirectly by paying for equipment rentals, fills, lodging, etc (which are taxed directly as sales tax and then indirectly via the income taxes of the business owners). Finally, there are people who live out of state but pay FL property and other taxes too. Saying that visiting divers should not be allowed to participate in discussions concerning state parks is gross discrimination, don't you think?
    You're jumping to alot of conclusions based on my response. I was making a direct response to something that was said. I didnt anywhere say that out of state divers dont contribute. I specifically spoke in response to his comment.

But yes, if I could I would keep all out lf staters out of the caves and only allow floridians. That way there will be less people in the good parking spots and less people not yielding to exiting divers. In fact, I think in a perfect world I would have the power to be the sole decision maker in who is allowed to dive the caves. It would be me and about 10 other people. Everyone else must kiss my feet and carry my tanks to even be considered.

. Love it.

roadkill