Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Just get a boat and go dive the river caves. It is much more pleasant and you rarely have to deal with any a holes. Very rarely even see another diver.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Jessop View Post
    Kind of like how Eagles Nest became such a problem that we almost lost access to
    Again...

Safe diving,

Rich

Education, enjoyment and exploration.....
    http://divecaves.com
    https://www.facebook.com/divecaves

Why does the state care about solo diving?
    Good luck trying to sue the state for dying in a park.

You can hike all over the area near gators with your little kids or dogs, it's up to you to stay alive.

Solo diving is way safer than many things I see out fishing or paddle boarding.
    You'all ever seen locals hitting the flats in air boats, or nailing it up river in a cajun boat, get the heck out of town thinking solo cave diving is more dangerous than that.

I wouldn't report those folks, or call for more enforcement.
    I don't solo dive in state parks but I do look forward to the time where that dumb rule is dropped so I can.

Quote Originally Posted by mdax View Post
    Why does the state care about solo diving?
    Good luck trying to sue the state for dying in a park.

You can hike all over the area near gators with your little kids or dogs, it's up to you to stay alive.

Solo diving is way safer than many things I see out fishing or paddle boarding.
    You'all ever seen locals hitting the flats in air boats, or nailing it up river in a cajun boat, get the heck out of town thinking solo cave diving is more dangerous than that.

I wouldn't report those folks, or call for more enforcement.
    I don't solo dive in state parks but I do look forward to the time where that dumb rule is dropped so I can.
    I am 100% with you on this one. Instead of having a thread about enforcing silly no-solo rules, I think the community would be better served by a thread discussing options to revise the state park rules! Nothing will change if we don't speak up, people!

Administrator Forum Admin

There are several hundred caves in Florida that one can solo. Why try to change Florida State Park rules?

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    There are several hundred caves in Florida that one can solo. Why try to change Florida State Park rules?
    I disagree with allowing solo diving at state parks personally. However, folks that disagree with me pay taxes just like I do, why not let their voice be heard too?

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Sl├╝dge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    Why try to change Florida State Park rules?
    To be able to dive solo in the state park caves??

Point is though I can understand the argument that Kelly is raising frequently in this context, that a discussion about that also has the potential that someone evaluates the use of state parks by cave divers and might come to a conclusion not allowing access anymore at all. With bureaucratists such potential always exists and thus I can follow the be happy with what one has argument..
    Lots of other options to solo though is not an argument for me at all not to raise such question..

Quote Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
    I disagree with allowing solo diving at state parks personally. However, folks that disagree with me pay taxes just like I do, why not let their voice be heard too?

2 reasons:

1) Alot of the people that complain about not allowing solo don't live in Fl and don't pay taxes.

2) I believe (or at least told) that those that regularly act as our intermediaries to the state parks have a long history with park officials and have learned that it's not a point that's worth continual pushing. There are bigger battles, such as allowing us to even dive in the parks. I think the people that act in that capacity have all of our best interest in mind. But if someone wants to take on or add to that role by building long standing relationships with park officials and having open conversations about changing limitations in a concise/realistic manner, I suspect the "intermediaries" would love the help.

Me, I don't care that much. I'd love to scooter and solo wherever I want, but I don't own the caves. So I'm just happy letting those that want to spend their precious time volunteering to act as our spokesperson make what they believe are decisions in our best interest. I'm too lazy and don't have enough time to take part.

(In easy terms, sure people can whine and complain, but instead be more productive by getting off your a** and volunter in taking part in these issues in the correct manner instead.)- that is not directed at you btw, it's a generalization to those that complain.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    2 reasons:

1) Alot of the people that complain about not allowing solo don't live in Fl and don't pay taxes.

2) I believe (or at least told) that those that regularly act as our intermediaries to the state parks have a long history with park officials and have learned that it's not a point that's worth continual pushing. There are bigger battles, such as allowing us to even dive in the parks. I think the people that act in that capacity have all of our best interest in mind. But if someone wants to take on or add to that role by building long standing relationships with park officials and having open conversations about changing limitations in a concise/realistic manner, I suspect the "intermediaries" would love the help.

Me, I don't care that much. I'd love to scooter and solo wherever I want, but I don't own the caves. So I'm just happy letting those that want to spend their precious time volunteering to act as our spokesperson make what they believe are decisions in our best interest. I'm too lazy and don't have enough time to take part.

(In easy terms, sure people can whine and complain, but instead be more productive by getting off your a** and volunter in taking part in these issues in the correct manner instead.)- that is not directed at you btw, it's a generalization to those that complain.
    Nicely said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roadkill

I used to dive Peacock solo frequently. Then, Shelly caught me. For those of you that don't remember, you did not want to be on Shelly's list. There were carnal verbs exchanged, dispersion's concerning my lineage, several descriptive adverbs, and, until I got rid of my Caravan, I think she had stooges looking for it coming down the road. That only lasted a couple of months, but I have not dived Peacock solo since.

"If I get married again, I want a guy there with a drum to do rimshots during the vows."
    "Folks, I've been straight for seventeen days... Not all in a row."
    "I don't worry about terrorism. I was married for two years."
    "My view of life is, 'If you're going to miss Heaven, why miss it by two inches? Miss it!"

Sam Kinison 4-10-1992

"Into the blue again; in the silent water
    Under the rocks, and stones; there is water underground" Talking Heads