Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Madison Blue 12/17/17

Madison is fantastic right now.... very minimal flow, viz between the main spring and Martz is a bit hazy but after Martz it is cracklin' clear. the river level is up which is helping to suppress the flow. Entry at Martz is fantastic, clear basin and good viz all the way to the gold line.

go dive it... who knows how long the flow will be this low.

Matt

I am confused, I was there Saturday, first thing I noticed was the river was obviously lower than my previous dive there in July (which was my first time there). I just compared my dive profiles and Saturday the water was 2.5-3 ft lower than July. I also thought the flow was stronger but Saturday I was carrying 2 stages vs no stage in July. So was the river high with low flow or the other way around? What is typical of Madison?

Nice meeting you Matt.

Ken Sallot

Hey Ken! Great to meet you/put a face with the name too!

I haven't dove here in probably 2 years, so I really can't compare depth/river levels. The ranger said "the river is up" so I took that as the expert evaluation of conditions. In years past I always remember the flow being very similar to Ginnie, maybe slightly less. We were swimming with just backgas, no stages or extra equipment, and it was super easy going. Dive 1 we intended to check out the godzilla circuit and I guess I wasn't paying attention and we swam right past it... before we knew it we were at the Martz jump and had only been in the water a few minutes. We turned and went back to find the jump and we decided to jump into a little nasty tunnel which I believe connects to the bannana room but we turned it because it was freakin' terrible. We then made it to the godzilla jump and wrapped up the dive.

Dive 2 we entered at Martz... basin was very clear and the new steps/platform the NFSA put in were fantastic! Visability just past martz on the gold line was crystal clear and this is where I noticed the flow was REALLY down compared to the front part of the cave. We swam to the entrance of Rocky Horror and turned it, then drifted all the way out to the main spring.

the only other team there was Ken and 2 other guys, so it was really nice to pretty much have the park to ourselves. Great time to go dive this site and the fleas are minimal this time of year.

Clearly the caves of IA have intense flow that put Maddie Blue to shame. Perhaps a second trip is in order. Iowa, you should go back to Madison today and check the flow for us again... Maybe a flow comparison between the river run and Rocky Horror? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by pink arrows View Post
    Clearly the caves of IA have intense flow that put Maddie Blue to shame. Perhaps a second trip is in order. Iowa, you should go back to Madison today and check the flow for us again... Maybe a flow comparison between the river run and Rocky Horror? Thanks in advance.
    I will see if I can fit it into my busy schedule. Today Tammy and I will be helicopter lifted into the most dangerous area of Iowa known as the cornfield maze we will be diving an extensive cave system the locals refer to as "little piggy outhouse". Time permitting we are planning to do and excessively deep dive into the Amish side mount system known only by the local Amish community called "the broken butter churn" and admittance is only accessible by horse and buggy. If we are able to be lifted back in time I will let you know the conditions and Madison

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wow. You guys are super advanced! The entrance at the BBC is no joke! I saw a youtube video once. God speed, Iowa.

Disclaimer... No Amish people or butter churns were hurt or injured during the creation of this post

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    Disclaimer... No Amish people or butter churns were hurt or injured during the creation of this post

Hehe

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

[B][FONT="Century Gothic"] Steve

Conditions are still fantastic... Dove today. Very mild flow, Ginnie Springs visibility.