Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Perdix downloads with win7?

I use a Dell laptop with windows 7 and Sheerwater desktop for my Petrel and would like to use same for a Perdix. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to locate bluetooth LE drivers to work with win7 and use the LE dongle that comes with the Perdix. I've heard that win7 doesn't support bluetooth LE (low energy).

I understand I could use an Android tablet and Sheerwater Cloud to download dives from the Perdix but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I'd appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks in advance,

Michael

The most powerful minds are the ones that can be changed.

Honorary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael F View Post
    I use a Dell laptop with windows 7 and Sheerwater desktop for my Petrel and would like to use same for a Perdix. I'm wondering if anyone has managed to locate bluetooth LE drivers to work with win7 and use the LE dongle that comes with the Perdix. I've heard that win7 doesn't support bluetooth LE (low energy).

I understand I could use an Android tablet and Sheerwater Cloud to download dives from the Perdix but I'd like to avoid that if possible. I'd appreciate any insight anyone has. Thanks in advance,

Michael
    I use the built-in Dell bluetooth chip. It works fine.

If your dongle isn't working, try disabling the built-in bluetooth radio, as it will cause a conflict and cannot run two bluetooth devices at the same time.

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people. ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

"If a small thing has the power to make you angry, does that not indicate something about your size?" ~Sydney J. Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I use the built-in Dell bluetooth chip. It works fine.

If your dongle isn't working, try disabling the built-in bluetooth radio, as it will cause a conflict and cannot run two bluetooth devices at the same time.
    I just learned that a non-AI Perdix will use the same dongle as a Petrel and I failed to mention earlier that I'm attempting to connect to a Perdix AI which uses Bluetooth LE. My Dell laptop is ancient and won't connect to a Petrel without the supplied dongle.

So has anyone managed to connect to a Perdix AI with a windows 7 computer?

I still use this HP Windows 7Professional laptop and have had no issues with linking it to my non AI Perdix using the laptop's Bluetooth and the dongle.

The Perdix AI and NERD2 use Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). Windows 7 does not support BLE. My understanding is that Microsoft has no plans to upgrade Windows 7 to support BLE. As an alternative, you could upload your dives with a phone to the cloud and then sync them to your PC, but Shearwater Cloud is still in Beta at this point and not ready for release yet.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce and Gene. I've already had a discussion with Shearwater support folks and read these details online. I was hoping some smart cookie found a way to get drivers working on win7 for BLE. I will try out using Shearwater Cloud with a tablet and sync to the laptop.