Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dive Rite BX2

Default Dive Rite BX2

Any thoughts on the Dive Rite BX2? I'm not seeing many reviews and a forum search came back empty.

I'm thinking of buying two with video diffusers for use on a helmet with a GoPro and using one as one of my backups on non GoPro dives. I get that they are not "video lights" per se.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

1,000 lumens is definitely not enough for a descent video light. As far as a backup it is fine but there are cheaper options that are probably made in the same factory.

I have a pair of DGX push button lights on my helmet. One is a video light; the other is a spot light.

I will probably pick up another video light before too long because one really doesn’t provide enough light both in terms of coverage and lumens to adequately illuminate the scene. Another probably won’t be enough but it’ll certainly help a lot more than using just one.

Personally I’m of the opinion that a push button is better for that kind of application because you can turn them on and off a lot more easily than a twist type light. Secondly, the diffuser will block some of the light simply because you're putting something over the lens of the light. Using a dedicated video light you'll probably get more useful light onto your subject.

When you factor in the cost of a pair of BX2's plus a diffuser, you can get 4 of the DGX push button lights, two for video and two spot for cheaper than what you'd pay for the BX2's.

I have the BX2 and it's a GREAT backup light, but for video I would not recommend it.

I use two of these:

https://www.diverightinscuba.com/imp...ive-light.html

make sure you choose the video light head when ordering, they come with both.

In this video I'm using two of them on a helmet with the video heads. The one on my hand is the same light with the spot head.

I can say they've lasted about three years with no problems at all. They are great lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn6qUCFeHAI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htuSVlvQ0JE

Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't considered the push button switch - that's a good point. I'm a little put off the DGX lights because they're rated at 600 lumens but the cost is certainly attractive.

As for the DRIS Impact Stubby lights, those also look good but I'm curious why you recommend them over the BX2 when they're rated at the same output and are a bit more expensive than the BX2. Do you find them to be brighter in real-world use?

The stubbys just work well so that's what I use. Also I've had them for three years, BX2's weren't around then One thing you're going to run into, if there's any particulate in the water video lights on the helmet give your eyes backscatter. you won't enjoy the dive as much as just having a handheld, or moving the lights further away from your head.

It's sort of a tradeoff, "do you want good video on this dive, or do you want to see the cave better while you're diving?"

most of the time I'll shoot video on the way in, and turn off the video lights off on the way out, or vice versa.