Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Gavin/SS Short Body LiFePO4 Battery Packs

I'm starting to go through my old gear and decided to look for an off the shelf solution. I found something promising for the older style short bodies. It's a 24V -20ah LiFePO4 Pack: http://www.pingbattery.com/servlet/t...lithium/Detail.

The packs are $378 each (+$35 shipping) and the 24V charger is $55. I didn't order one, so I have no idea if it's a good solution, but it is interesting. Not sure how much Rodney charges for his 40ah packs. If it's under $1k then probably easier to go that route.

The 7.1 x 4.1 x 5.5" size is about an inch taller than the original packs. So, if two were used to make a 40ah scooter then there would need to be some adjustments made to the battery rack area. Maybe remove the spacer between the batteries, readjust the rack, or cut down the spacer above the motor. I've got about 9-3/8" distance between the btm of the cone and the top of the motor spacer in mine, so there is definitely room. My spacers are 3/8", so I could probably leave all three in.

Even more interesting is the opportunity to use just one pack and cut down the tube. The packs are only 10lbs each, so the tubes could be cut down quite a bit.

I have an N-19 that has a dead battery and I have been thinking about getting one of these. About 2 years ago Rodney was no longer making any LiFe batteries if I recall correctly. I don't know if this has changed or not. I think the LiFe battery for the N-19 was about $1,000 with the 3 speed controller being $300. It has been a while so I might be off a little on pricing. If anyone has used one of these batteries I would be interested to hear their experience with them.

Not sure of the N-19 tube/battery size, but these packs come in several different dimension pptions. For a 20ah drop in this would be a great solution for under $500 with charger. You'd only need 1 pack so that should be super easy.

Dimension Options (Size of BMS is not included):
    290*75*120 mm / 11.4*3*4.8 inches
    290*145*60 mm / 11.4*5.7*2.4 inches
    180*105*140 mm / 7.1*4.1*5.5 inches
    210*90*140mm / 8.3*3.5*5.5 inches
    280*105*90mm / 11*4.1*3.5 inches

What battery technology does Rodney offer for the new scooters?

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    .... About 2 years ago Rodney was no longer making any LiFe batteries if I recall correctly....
    It looks like he has changed from LiFePO4 technology to Lithium polymer and it's a $1750 replacement 30ah battery http://www.silent-submersion.com/Pro...per/Viper.html

I will probably give this a shot next year. I need a new boat and drysuit before I fix my backup scooter.

I put a Ping Battery pack in my backup scooter. Works great, I'm happy with it. If you email him he can do custom sizes and voltages, within the limits of the cells.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hammer View Post
    I put a Ping Battery pack in my backup scooter. Works great, I'm happy with it. If you email him he can do custom sizes and voltages, within the limits of the cells.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    Nice!!! That is good to know

Uncomfortably far North of the Mill Pond.

Ping is a great guy to work with, we almost managed to get a 40Ah battery into my UV hull, missed it by a few cm's.
    He was very helpful and quite accommodating. I use one of his BMS (V5) on my 30 Ah LiFePO4 battery I built for the UV 18.

Last edited by AJM; 12-04-2017 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling.
    Anthony

bunch of guys in california have done that, though they have said they put some foam on the shroud to help with trim since the 30ah life packs are a bit heavy and you can't get it far enough forward