Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Who is diving the Kiss Sidewinder CCR?

Who is diving this unit? I'm very interested and wondering what BCD/Tank/Regs/bailout/computer setup you are using. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

I know absolutely nothing about a rebreather but for $2,000 I am definitely intrigued.

Where did you find the $2000 price tag? I was pretty sure they were around $4500 which does not include BCD or computer.

http://kissrebreathers.com/images/up...ccr-retail.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    Where did you find the $2000 price tag? I was pretty sure they were around $4500 which does not include BCD or computer.

http://kissrebreathers.com/images/up...ccr-retail.pdf
    I haven't looked but I heard of a few guys paying that. Might be a friends and family deal but I definitely wouldn't pay $4500 for one without checking several different dealers.

I think there is a pretty limited availability of instructors who can train/sell this unit... eitherway, having seen several of them in the water I'm very interested to learn more.

They are intriguing to me too. There was a thread on here a while back and like anything else some had negative opinions. I just don't do much deep diving and for shallow stuff it seems to me that most people are going with these or the Sidekick just so they won't have to drag a bunch of stages when with my math at best you really need them anyway.

I dive one. Edd set it up for me SMS 75 Harness.

I have LP50?s and LP85?s I use with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton

I've been CCR interested for several years now but really didn't want to transition back to a backmount diving configuration... I like the small stuff and the caves that I can access with sidemount. when the sidewinder came out I became convinced I would go this route after watching some close friends transition from their backmounted CCRs to these units. While there seem to be some complainers out there about some features or capabilities of this unit here is why I will likely move in this direction:

-#1: keeping my sidemount configuration
    -I like the idea of the bailout cylinders doubling as the dilluant and having options to vary the bailout tank size based on the dive (As Tflaris says... LP50's, 85's, etc)
    -unit trims out well (if setup by Edd? my friends dove ReVo CCRs and this was a point they loved upon transitioning... no struggling with a heads slightly up position. they completed the crossover with Edd)
    -I've heard no complaints around WOB
    -increased bottom times and minimized decompression obligations. (yes, any CCR does this)
    -I'm a fan of a manually controlled CCR... this unit appears simple and less complex than other options on the market. I want to simplicity with my equipment.

Everytime we dive with these friends it always amazes me how streamlined and simple their setup looks... when swimming through the cave they appear as as if they are just sidemounting a pair of LP50's... the rest of the kit is nearly un-noticeable. We are all diving SMS75's and while I may squirm through some restrictions or passages, they just slide through.

I share all of your thoughts. It's an interesting setup. I tried Edd's on for a minute after my DPV class and it trimmed out immediately. I have had minimal interest in a rb, especially when possibly having to go back to bm. My wife may need to go to a rb for her science diving, and that raised my interest in possible diving a rb to be matched with her on our fun dives. The sidewinder is on my list as is the sf2 if I choose to go to a rb. zI'm definitely interested to see the comments here. The last thread was food for thought.

cancel that, I'm on the sidekick.