Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tflaris View Post

    I have not seen any scrubber duration tests but there where larger canisters available and on display at DEMA.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We're they larger in diameter or longer?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    What do you suggest for "proper scrubber duration"?
    It depends what you want to do. If you do a two hour plus dive, and your scrubber duration is four hours, you're going to be dumping it out after one dive. I had a big radial scrubber in the rig I dove last week (meg scrubber) and after four + hours, the indicater in the sorb was just barely going. I dump it after two dives like that, but it's rated for 6 and would probably work for a lot longer.


  3. #23

    Default

    So to clarify, "proper scrubber duration" is based more on the individual diver and types/lengths of dives being conducted... not so much that this is a poor design or insufficient scrubber... some divers may just prefer a larger can for longer dives or repedative dives without swapping scrubber material?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


  4. #24
    Administrator Forum Admin
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    22,241

    Default

    If you are just touring big cave, use a big rebreather. The Sidewinder was designed for sidemount caves.

    To me, the biggest issue with scrubber size isn't the dive duration, it is the "dwell" time. A larger scrubber will scrub CO2 out faster. I made a prototype rebreather with a small scrubber, and tested it in Devil's Eye. By the time I got to the Maple Leaf, I had a huge CO2 buildup, and if my OC buddy hadn't turned the dive, I probably wouldn't be here today. See this post: http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showt...range-Symptoms

    Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Neptune Beach, FL
    Posts
    2,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    We're they larger in diameter or longer?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I didn?t measure so I can?t accurately tell you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    "Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

    Earnest Shackleton

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IowaCaveDiver View Post
    So to clarify, "proper scrubber duration" is based more on the individual diver and types/lengths of dives being conducted... not so much that this is a poor design or insufficient scrubber... some divers may just prefer a larger can for longer dives or repedative dives without swapping scrubber material?

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The question was "duration". I like to be able to do two dives without repacking the scrubber, but that's just for convenience. Work of breathing, efficiency, resistance to flooding, radial or axial, one or two, those are all different questions. I believe Forest is right though, one larger scrubber performs better than two smaller ones. Radials work better than axials. I wouldn't classify it as "poor design", everything is a compromise. Splitting the scrubber is a compromise because you want the rig to be smaller. Counterlungs in a can are a compromise because you don't like them on your chest. Those things decrease scrubber efficiency and increase work of breathing, but you may be willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for the smaller profile. I hope that's helpful.

    Last edited by BillGraham; 12-07-2017 at 07:52 PM.

  7. #27

    Default

    How does the Sidewinder compare with the SF2?


  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BillGraham View Post
    The question was "duration". I like to be able to do two dives without repacking the scrubber, but that's just for convenience. Work of breathing, efficiency, resistance to flooding, radial or axial, one or two, those are all different questions. I believe Forest is right though, one larger scrubber performs better than two smaller ones. Radials work better than axials. I wouldn't classify it as "poor design", everything is a compromise. Splitting the scrubber is a compromise because you want the rig to be smaller. Counterlungs in a can are a compromise because you don't like them on your chest. Those things decrease scrubber efficiency and increase work of breathing, but you may be willing to sacrifice a bit of performance for the smaller profile. I hope that's helpful.
    helpful... thank you!


  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jlillest View Post

    I've gotten water in the unit on more than one occasion and not had to bail because of it. I'd say I've gotten more than a pint (not actually measured, but more than I should have gotten) and not gotten caustic or had to bail. It'll gurgle but no high WOB or other problems. I've since gotten better at not letting water in through the DSV.
    That's a lot of water. Anytime I've had any kind of flood, it was my screw up putting the rig together so that's where I'd look.


  10. #30

    Default

    I have been considering getting a rebreather for years, I didn't want an eCCR, and didn't want a back mounted unit. I was considering the sidekick, but I was in no rush. a while back I seen heard news that the sidewinder was being tested, and figured Id take a look see, had some questions about it, and got some answerers. Early this year I took the training class, and came home with a sidewinder. I like that I can dive sidemount with it, and my profile is the same. I dive it with Lp 50 tanks, which I really like these tanks, or I dive it with LP 85.
    So far I am very happy with the unit, I have a hardwired Shearwater computer, and recently picked up a backup nerd, I like the idea of having a redundant computer for the monitoring of my PP02. Overall I am very pleased with the unit, its easy to transport also with the size, it cleans up quickly after a dive, and is easily put together before a dive, I am still not as fast at getting everything put together, but slow and steady is ok with me, as once assembled I can have plenty of bottom time.

    Currently I have around 35-40 HRS post training on the unit.



 

Similar Threads

  1. Have You Tried the New Kiss Sidewinder?
    By Real1628 in forum Gear, Equipment & Tools for Cave Diving
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 05-07-2017, 12:21 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2014, 04:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts