Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bamafan View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about a rebreather but for $2,000 I am definitely intrigued.

That's gotta be a "bro deal". At $2k I would have jumped on it after trimming out so well in it and chalked it up as an "intro to rebreathers". I think it's well over double that.

Quote Originally Posted by rddvet View Post
    That's gotta be a "bro deal". At $2k I would have jumped on it after trimming out so well in it and chalked it up as an "intro to rebreathers". I think it's well over double that.
    I am hearing different but like I said maybe this was just for special people. There are a few big names diving these and maybe that is their pricing. I guess maybe that is marketing and it works till someone blabs and then all the strokes like me get their feelings hurt and just go another route.

Administrator Forum Admin

From the KISS website, the Sidewinder list price price is $4,590. http://kissrebreathers.com/images/up...ccr-retail.pdf page 2.

Forrest Wilson (with 2 Rs)
    Any opinions are personal.
    Sump Divers

Quote Originally Posted by FW View Post
    From the KISS website, the Sidewinder list price price is $4,590. http://kissrebreathers.com/images/up...ccr-retail.pdf page 2.
    Generally speaking, some list prices are pretty much the same thing as certain agencies standards.
    Not worth the paper they are printed on.
    That is if the printers can be tracked down at all.
    As to rebreathers, I would recommend looking elsewhere for a model that offers flood protection, proper scrubber duration and good design. Plus preferably instructors who teach CCR diving with adequate bailout.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nakatomi View Post
    Generally speaking, some list prices are pretty much the same thing as certain agencies standards.
    As to rebreathers, I would recommend looking elsewhere for a model that offers flood protection, proper scrubber duration and good design. Plus preferably instructors who teach CCR diving with adequate bailout.

What do you suggest for "proper scrubber duration"?

I had similar concerns and was told (very politely) that my opinion didn't matter until I dove one. I'm glad I didn't open my mouth publicly before I took that advice, the sidewinder is a super nice unit. It seems like something horrible and then it fit like a glove when I dove it.

I'm currently diving either LP85s or LP50s for bailout. A pair of those obviously. I'm using a 3L steel bottle for O2, but will be trying out different options until I find something I like better for different situations. I'm calculating bailout based on distance in the cave I can make it out comfortably on a strong safety margin(think more than thirds). I've got the unit attached to a Nomad JT and will try it on a Diamond soon. I use a shearwater with fischer connector.

I've gotten water in the unit on more than one occasion and not had to bail because of it. I'd say I've gotten more than a pint (not actually measured, but more than I should have gotten) and not gotten caustic or had to bail. It'll gurgle but no high WOB or other problems. I've since gotten better at not letting water in through the DSV...

Anyone interested in trying or training a sidewinder, I'd be happy to offer my experience in a PM.

Fair disclosure: I dive with and am friends with the owner of KISS. I've also gotten trained on several other rebreathers and have close friends in at least two other rebreather companies.

Also if you could expand on "instructors who teach CCR diving with adequate bailout"... meaning the instructors are not carrying enough bailout or they are teaching students not to carry enough?

This past summer Jason Richards joined me up here in Northern BC in Canada for a few projects. One of them is a provincial park called Hole in the wall that had not been previously looked at. We spent a few days hauling out rocks, one of them several hundred pounds, and then did some dives.

The entrance was way too small at first and Jason shredded a brand new DUI dry suit. After all our efforts it was still a very small entrance that I took off one tank to get through. I was diving 45’s.

Jason was able to swim down through the entrance restriction with the Sidewinder and his tanks on and made it to 300 feet deep before turning. I believe this to be the deepest anyone has dove in a Canadian cave.

He had about an hour and a half of deco in the cold water but other than some slightly frozen extremities, he was just fine.

Say what you will but I am not sure what other rig would have fit in there. It performed flawlessly and allowed him to pull off a dive that would not be possible with most other rigs.

One thing I should add to my previous post is that this rig is not for a new rebreather diver imho. It requires a lot of work out of the box to tune it in. Hoses and mav’s etc need customizing. If you view it as a sort of kit you won’t be disappointed. It is very well made, but not for everyone.

I only wish I had the money to get one.

The water trap or lack there of may be a deal breaker for some people but I?ve been diving CCR?s since 2005 and only had 1 major flood which was my fault. I simply bailed out and lived to tell about it.

The way Edd sets up the rig is pretty slick. You dress into the RB and walk to the water (if Land based). Diving with LP 50?s you feel very unencumbered and it has a low profile.

I have not seen any scrubber duration tests but there where larger canisters available and on display at DEMA.

It helps to have someone who has invested significant time in setting up the unit to reduce the learning curve.

In short every unit has pros and cons and this unit is no different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in event of success."

Earnest Shackleton