Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I got measured at DEMA, and should have a suit in hand in the next 2 weeks (give or take), and will report back on fit.

i ordered the seaskin about a month ago. hopeing to get it shortly. will try for size anddo a couple pool dives.ordered it with the Kubi gloves. hope it all works out.

Quote Originally Posted by JMB2262 View Post
    I agree with the part it depends on who measures you. Totally disagree with the part about the pre made panels. I have been in their factory many times and watched mine or my friends measurements go into a cad machine and the fabric get cut. It is custom.

Also agree with you're comment about a TLS versus a FLX. I would never buy a TLS for cave diving. Either buy a FLX or a CLX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I could have sworn I heard that at DUI demo days. If you've been to the factory, I'd trust you over my 5-7 year old recollection. Either way, they have so many stock panel sizes that I suspect the difference is almost irrelevant either way. Measuring matters way more than anything else IMO.

-James Garrett
    http://www.jamesg.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Slüdge View Post
    ...AL...he's just about worthless for anything other than giving you extra gas.

Moderator CDF-STAFF Member

I've had three "custom" TLS-350s. They all fit perfectly. If something were to happen to my newest one I'd get another just like it.

(I also own a Scubapro neoprene drysuit that I wear when the weather is unbearably hot, because I don't have to wear thick undergarments with it.)

Whoever said money can't buy love never bought a puppy.

I can't really help with custom vs stock. My TLS is custom and I like that it fits me perfectly and you basically get a year or so to send it back with fit complaints no questions asked. My wife's custom didn't fit perfectly but the shop told us to dive it a few months to help figure out what should change. She did and then we sent it back to DUI with the changes made and they were done no questions asked. I was exceptionally happy with my purchase.

The plan was to "upgrade" to an FLX. I thought it would be an easy process as my current suit fits like a glove, but it wasn't to be. Firstly, they got rid of the zipper that I loved that zipped from the top of the shoulder to just behind your back. People complained about them being a leak point so the only option now is the classic zipper. Because that zipper isn't available, they couldn't use my old measurements. I was also told that TLS measurements wouldn't transfer over to the FLX. I think it was an oversimplified answer. I think in reality some of the measurement system has changed since my last suit. On my first suit I was measured by Faith at DUI who was one of the people who came up with their measurement system. This time I had Gamble measure me. The first suit showed up about 8 inches too long in the legs, 4-6 too wide in the thighs, and enormous up top. It took refitting and taking photos and remeasuring being sent to faith to get it fixed. Gamble's measurements were accurate from 1st to second measuring. Faith said she would extrapolate between my current suit and the new measurements to fix it. It took about 2-3 months for the second suit to get to Gamble's because Faith was off on one of DUIs dive trips and it got forgotten about. The second suit has arrived at Gamble's slightly better up top but with zero improvement in the legs. Gamble and I are both pretty annoyed. I went back to his place this weekend and took more photos of me in the suit to send to Faith and he retook some measurements (which are the same).

I suspect this third suit that they're going to have to make should be closer, but based on what's been happening and how horribly not even close they've been, I doubt it will be perfect. We all suspect it's going to take them 4-5 tries to get it right, but hopefully we'll be proven wrong. I'm at the point that if this suit is still not much better I may tell them I give up and go with a custom SF Tech.

The only thing that keeps me with DUI is zip seals. We travel and dive outside of the US as much as we dive in cave country. We dive in quite a few places where replacing a ripped seal isn't realistic without zip seals. I've also been on dive trips where having a zip seal saved the dive on more than one occassion. When you're travelling outside of the US it's really a lifesaver. On top of that I need to easily go between seals and gloves and I'm not a big fan of other systems. If I end up going SF tech, I'm going to try to find a way to get zipseals over to them so they can install them into the suit (shhh...don't tell DUI).

The argument that a DUI suit is $2000 more than another suit is BS. That's true if you pay full price. I don't think Gamble's ever charged someone full MSRP. I was pretty shocked when he told me what my suit would cost me (if they ever get it right).

Rddvet, thanks for taking the time to write that up. I can imagine that being a fairly frustrating process.... Can you keep us posted on the next suit iteration?

Jason Gulley

My last suit came back wonkey because DUI wanted to fiddle with the numbers.

It’s absolutely perfect now but it took a few tries to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by PfcAJ View Post
    My last suit came back wonkey because DUI wanted to fiddle with the numbers.

It’s absolutely perfect now but it took a few tries to get right.
    they also couldn't figure out how to make a drysuit when i ordered mine. finally got an ok (just ok) fitting suit a year later

Kathy at DUI made some announcements over on SB earlier this yesr about changes and internal issues at DUI. None of it left me feeling warm and fuzzy.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Jeff Rouse
    Chicago, IL

Maybe I'm just spoiled because my first suit came out perfect right off the bat. This one's so bad it's comical. Well it was, and now Gamble and I aren't finding it as funny.

I'll just keep the course and let them keep sending me suits. I'll post as it progresses.

Why the cloverleaf? Are people getting leaks scootering without it? I can see why on my TLS because the crotch is 95% aquaseal. Gamble made it sound like the FLX would hold up well and a cloverleaf isn't needed. I've been told cloverleaves can be annoying.