Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default sms 75 sticking dump valve

hi peeps. looking for information on how to fix my sticking and unreliable dump valve and line on my sms 75. very hard to hang when you are fighting for buoyancy control because of sticking dump. Thanks...

Good luck. A few years back my wife had the same problem with her edd mod sms100. After being unable to fix it we had edd and john came up with every "fix" in the book. None helped. They blamed the material of her tls350, the spring, the line length, added washers to the dump, and 30 other things. My understanding is its not an uncommon thing they see after the mods are done. It was worse when carrying a stage. It was the final of 30 nails in the coffin that made her dump the sms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can replace the dump valve for pretty cheap if you are not able to fix it. https://www.leisurepro.com/p-hlsopv/hollis-over-pressure-op-pull-dump-valve?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgdnouYXC1wIVFcNkCh1fmwxvEA QYASABEgJ8cPD_BwE&kwid=productads-adid^228662146443-device^c-plaid^346262998029-sku^HLSOPV@ADL4LP-adType^PLA

sticking open or pulling the dump and nothing coming out since the disk sticking to the bladder "rim"

Quote Originally Posted by patpicos View Post
    sticking open or pulling the dump and nothing coming out since the disk sticking to the bladder "rim"
    sticking open

Stuck open is the typical dump problems seen with the mods. I know it really pissed my wife off to du p while carrying a stage and suddenly lose most of her buoyancy.
    They said hers was the only one they couldn't fix but I don't know that I buy it. Call edd's and see if thy can run you through the fixes, but don't expect a guaranteed result. I was originally told the sticking dump rarely happened, but I had come to learn differently.

I've had this problem on mine in the past. One thing you can do is open up the valve and give the spring a bit of a "stretch" so that it's longer and puts more downward pressure on the plug.

The pull string you use really matters too. plain old cave line does not work well. You need something as similar in material to the original stuff as possible.

You might want to try replacing the dump valve with that kit that was mentioned earlier. If I remember correctly some of the first ones made had a spring that would rust. (I may have it confused with a different BC so don't take that as gospel) but they fixed it rather quickly.

just grabbing the ends of the spring with some pliers and giving it a little stretch fixed mine.

I have the same problem with my SMS. It's not consistent and I can usually fix it by pulling it a few times. I've always assumed it was because I ran the pull string trough a piece of plastic and it was binding.

sent a question about this to Hollis a couple days ago. see if they respond. otherwise i may be replacing it with a dive rite nomad ls

The rubber disk can come out of it's bracket when you pull the string a little too hard and wont let the valve close with some OPVs. Have you checked that? I had that issue with some aftermarket OPVs (which are the same DR, xdeep and others use I believe).
    When you open the valve just check how loose the disk sits in the bracket. If it is loose, you can glue it in or get a new disk.