Welcome to the Cave Diver's Forum.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost and found

Default Lost and found

I always wondered what would be the best way of dealing with found items, whether to pick them up for safeguarding or leaving them behind, hoping the person who lost them would come back looking for them. I think stuff obviously lost somewhere inside a cave is always OK to pick up and somehow try to find the owner. For others, there might be some different opinions.

Few questions:
    Is it OK to take something assuming it was lost? If so, does the finder keep the item and post here something like "found this item at this location, describe it and I'll give it back to you"? What if that person is not on CDF? Or do we leave it with the closest dive shop and post here the whereabouts, just in case whoever lost it is asking around? Or do we just leave it there, hoping the owner would come back looking for it, also hoping nobody would steal it.

In a perfect world, I'd say just leave it behind and post here that something was seen somewhere and left behind. Since this is far from a perfect world, my preference would be take it, leave it with a dive shop in the area and post here about what was found and where it is. What would be your preference?

Always take it, because then at least you can drop it somewhere where the cave diver might get it. For example at Ginnie, if a non-diver takes it...chances are you will never see it again

Someone left a bunch of yellow string in peacock and I went ahead and removed it for you.

Ken Sallot

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Someone left a bunch of yellow string in peacock and I went ahead and removed it for you.
    Was it yellow? Or perhaps actually Gold?

Either way, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Always take it. Have your local pawn shop look at it, and unless its worth a lot more than most old diving junk, then turn it in.

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."
    "Modern Americans behave as if intelligence were some sort of hideous deformity."
    "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life."

Frank Zappa 12-4-93

"There she was - the cave. Like a big craggy jaw, waiting to snap at anything that came along." Lloyd "Mike Nelson" Bridges 3-10-1998

Quote Originally Posted by kensuf View Post
    Thanks bruh!

Contact 'Bros-No Mo' & put a bid price on it !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmVpVDZ_DE8

Last edited by JE; 11-15-2017 at 08:39 AM. Reason: ref:

I found some aluminum 40's marked "OXYGEN" and regulators that some forgetful cave divers left behind while swimming into the cave. Where can I leave the tanks and collect my reward?

Quote Originally Posted by inverted_bear View Post
    I found some aluminum 40's marked "OXYGEN" and regulators that some forgetful cave divers left behind while swimming into the cave. Where can I leave the tanks and collect my reward?

No joke, that has happened at Ginnie. I heard some hillbillies showed up at the office to turn in a deco bottle they found that someone had "lost" in the cavern.

Quote Originally Posted by cmint View Post
    No joke, that has happened at Ginnie. I heard some hillbillies showed up at the office to turn in a deco bottle they found that someone had "lost" in the cavern.
    I found some more 80's at stage rock. These cave divers would lose their heads if they weren't attached!